Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Penforhire,Jul 11 2008, 01:34 PM] Today was GRUESOME.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone calling this a short term bottom or do you think it'll go down more?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM

Indymac is officially out of business

http://www.indymacbank.com/

We could hear some major news about Freddie and Fannie Sunday night.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:10 AM

i've got bloomberg in my hotel in beijing but since the times are completely backwards i see all futures action. interesting market and luckily i've been able to mess around wiht my portfolio here, doubled my gold position just before i left and its keeping the rest of my holdings above water. Still watching the VIX...

Im heading to shanghai, then nanjing, then hangzhou before returning back. Dont have too much fun without me.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 AM

Haha, In China it's very humid during the July season. Anyways have fun Sahtt in China.

BTW check out KFC, MCD and other western companies in China for us! Don't forget the AAPL store!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Wow Indymac bank out of business. Wonder what the Fed will do on Monday with Fannie and Freddie
Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Jul 12 2008, 09:09 AM
Haha, In China it's very humid during the July season. Anyways have fun Sahtt in China.

BTW check out KFC, MCD and other western companies in China for us! Don't forget the AAPL store!
it's more pleasant here than in houston, that's for sure. I stopped by all the yum brand stores here since thats why i own the stock. the pizza hut was the most impressive, it's very trendy and quite pricey. Two friends and i had a typical meal there for 72 yuan each, about 10 usd. ill take a picture of that place if i get a chance.

maidanglao, aka mcdonalds is definitely nicer here than in the U.S., also quite popular and about the same prices as the us, same with KFC although there is some cheap stuff there. the insides of the places are extremely clean and significantly nicer.

I've already been to most of the hot spots here and a corona here is 5 usd in any good club, and bud is the same price, even in grocery stores [both are 1.15 usd there].

fortunately i speak chinese or the prices would be even worse. while i was sitting around they would charge any non chinese speaker 2-4 times the regular price.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We're setting up for a monster rally. I hope you've all got some dry powder left.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 AM

kfc in asia is 50 billion times better than the kfc crap we have here in the states.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Jul 12 2008, 08:42 PM
it's more pleasant here than in houston, that's for sure. I stopped by all the yum brand stores here since thats why i own the stock. the pizza hut was the most impressive, it's very trendy and quite pricey. Two friends and i had a typical meal there for 72 yuan each, about 10 usd. ill take a picture of that place if i get a chance.

maidanglao, aka mcdonalds is definitely nicer here than in the U.S., also quite popular and about the same prices as the us, same with KFC although there is some cheap stuff there. the insides of the places are extremely clean and significantly nicer.

I've already been to most of the hot spots here and a corona here is 5 usd in any good club, and bud is the same price, even in grocery stores [both are 1.15 usd there].

fortunately i speak chinese or the prices would be even worse. while i was sitting around they would charge any non chinese speaker 2-4 times the regular price.
Mandarin is the mother language that is used across China and everyone in China understands it. Also each province or cities in China has their own Language.

I'm surprised that Pizza Hut hasn't up their prices since 95. Last time my uncle was in China, a personal size pizza was 70 Yuen. How is Star Bucks doing in China? I'm just wondering if it's doing any good because Chinese people aren't into Coffee much.

Sahtt are you going to visit Hong Kong or Maccu?

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread