Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nokia (NOK) is pretty cheap right now 2.68 I believe. And with their new Lumia 820 and 920 WP8 phones coming out later this month, might be a good stock to buy. Opinions?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM

NOK just needs to be bought out.

Although, with RIMM reporting surprisingly good earnings, NOK by follow that train.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FB is up 20% today, which is a nice change.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

any other feedback on OPTT, it doesn't seem like they are making any money?

Should i buy a 2 month option on WPI @$85?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tuan85
Should i buy a 2 month option on WPI @$85?
Call or put?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put.

Magician, i would appreciate your advice on WPI and any opinion on other stocks. Ive been lurking this forum for awhile and you have been very knowledgeable and a great asset to this community.

It will be my first option. I work in the industry of WPI and have a feeling they might be going down, even to the 80. However i think the safe choice is 85.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM

omg -- check out Smith and Wesson and Ruger (both up 9% on the day).

LOL -- how did I miss that?!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tuan85
Put.

Magician, i would appreciate your advice on WPI and any opinion on other stocks. Ive been lurking this forum for awhile and you have been very knowledgeable and a great asset to this community.

It will be my first option. I work in the industry of WPI and have a feeling they might be going down, even to the 80. However i think the safe choice is 85.
Thanks for your kind words. Maybe you could go over to Off-Topic Talk and tell the people in the thread about the Monstor lawsuit that I'm not such a bad guy.

The long-term trend for WPI has been fairly strongly up, and I don't have any specific knowledge that would lead me to believe that it'll be down, so I'd be a bit chary about buying put options. If you bought puts @ $85 and the options cost you $5, it has to go down to $80 for you to break even. Perhaps a safer route (assuming you're quite certain that the price will go down) would be to sell calls @ $85. If it goes down you'll be ahead the call premium, and it would have to go up to $85 plus the call premium before you start to lose any money. Just a thought. Addendum: selling naked calls (i.e., selling call options when you don't own the underlying) is quite risky: the downside is unlimited. Attempt this at your own risk.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Solid advice.

Question: if hypothetically the stock went through the roof and Tuan has sold a call against non-existant shares, and if the buyer of said call exercises the option...isn't Tuan on the hook for 100 shares @ market value that he'd have to sell for $8500? I guess I'm asking if it's legal to sell a call against shares you don't own -- or if there is a major downside risk to it.

I'd never even considered this before so I'm curious about the different angles.
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
Solid advice.
Thanks.

Question: if hypothetically the stock went through the roof and Tuan has sold a call against non-existant shares, and if the buyer of said call exercises the option...isn't Tuan on the hook for 100 shares @ market value that he'd have to sell for $8500?
Yes.

I guess I'm asking if it's legal to sell a call against shares you don't own -- or if there is a major downside risk to it.
Yes, it's legal. However, because of the downside risk, dealers will generally require a large margin when you do this.

I, personally, would never do this unless I were certain that the stock price wasn't going to go up. I might not do it even then. (I edited my earlier response to highlight the risk.)

Thanks in advance!
My pleasure.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread