Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That noise is always wrong until it's right and then they say "I told you so". Stick to your discipline, it won't fail you.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of guys I work with are investing a lot in energy companies. Mainly natural gas companies. Most of the are up ~100% from the past year or 2. Check out Chesapeak Energy (CHK).

I'm still young, 20, and in school but I am trying to learn how to make my money work for me. All of these guys I work with are very knowledgible, I would say. Just about everyone of them has a masters in some sort of engineering field. (Not that makes them wise investors)
Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by CU Nick,Jul 3 2008, 08:33 AM
A lot of guys I work with are investing a lot in energy companies. Mainly natural gas companies. Most of the are up ~100% from the past year or 2. Check out Chesapeak Energy (CHK).

I'm still young, 20, and in school but I am trying to learn how to make my money work for me. All of these guys I work with are very knowledgible, I would say. Just about everyone of them has a masters in some sort of engineering field. (Not that makes them wise investors)
If you invested in RIM or AAPL in the past two years, you would do better than just a 100% return . When your stating your only 20 and young, are you stating that were bunch of old FARTS? JK. Most of us guys in here are in our early 20's.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Accountants are the worst investors followed closely by doctors and lawyers.

Investing is gambling. Being a good engineer doesn't make them a good gambler. Like gambling there are a sea of suckers and a few pros who make an enormous amount of money at it. Our goal here is to be a pro and not be a sucker.

Being a pro means understanding risk and sticking to discipline. Being a sucker means seeking rewards and hoping you get some.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM

does anyone knows what's going on with SIGM? the stock has been recovering within the past few days, is it short covering?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Jul 3 2008, 08:38 AM
If you invested in RIM or AAPL in the past two years, you would do better than just a 100% return . When your stating your only 20 and young, are you stating that were bunch of old FARTS? JK. Most of us guys in here are in our early 20's.
Hindsight is 20/20 no? When I said I was 20, I just ment that I really don't know much about the stock market and how to play it. That's all...

Also,I wasn't stating that being an engineer makes you good at playing the market. Just saying they have some rhyme and reason behind what they are doing. I know its mostly a craps shoot, but there is logic behind it.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Nick what is your point then? Some engineers at work have invested in NG and done pretty well? Good for them, pass on my congratulations.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Khoa,Jul 3 2008, 09:58 AM
does anyone knows what's going on with SIGM? the stock has been recovering within the past few days, is it short covering?
The company is undervalued and has a strong balance sheet with no debt.

I cannot recommend buying because of their poor manangement team.

I am still holding a long position.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:41 AM

happy 4th of july, hopefully no terrible news over the weekend and we get a nice monday rally
Old 07-04-2008, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by CU Nick,Jul 3 2008, 08:33 AM

Hi,

I think NG is a GREAT area to be in.

I am in the peak oil camp.....and I see real trouble ahead for the stock market and the world in general.

Here are some simple facts.

the world currently uses 3 cubic miles of oil worth of energy.

by 2030, as the world grows and develops....the world is going to want to use 6 cubic miles of oil worth of energy.

1 cubic miles worth of energy is

250,000 solar panels installed every single day for 50 years

(1) 900MW Nuclear power plants installed every week for 50 years

1,300 wind turbines installed a week for 50 years.

Now.....We could ramp every single alternative above at its max rate and still not hit 6 cubic miles worth of energy by 2030. We have peak oil which is going to lead to lower energy output from oil in the future....drastically lower by 2030....they also have declining energy return on energy invested.

that leaves coal and NG going forward with the alternatives.

I suggest buying all energy...thats basically one of the few areas that are going to make any money.

People will have to park their car and not drive. sales of automotive companies will drastically DECREASE. the financials will get killed.....the housing sector will be destroyed.....the future is not bright and economies will need to contract as they are choked from energy. we will also need to increase efficiency. so efficiency companies will do well going forward.....same with cargo shipping boats/ships.....railway, etc should do well.

Wind is the next big investment area IMO. coal and NG prices will continue to increase as time progresses....and wind energy will HAVE to be developed and its really the only alternative energy to make any substational amount of energy. there has only been one large scale solar plant that had 1 million solar panels and produces 40MW of energy. The largest wind turbine farm produced 720MW of energy.....which is 18 times as large.

Wind is about even with NG produced electricty or possibly cheaper now.....its close and people will ramp wind like no other coming up....as economies of scale hit the wind companies....and the supply chain adds capacity....wind will get a lot cheaper.....being the perferred area of electricity power generation. NG will HAVE to be used for transport.....and coal liquification will probably be used for making liquids. We don't really have any good alternatives in the short term.

short financials/housing/retail, go long ag futures/oil futures/ NG futures, energy companies, wind energy, energy service companies, Uranium holding companies etc.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread