Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trainwreck,Nov 17 2009, 10:46 AM
I saw the same thing. although i agree with her on many points about the fundamentals not being there for a real recovery, she is also neglecting a very huge reason for the market being propped up. Inflation!!! There is NO reason why your portfolio should be growing after being adjusted for inflation, but nominally if denominated in US Dollars, your portfolio should rise.

i believe the "cash on the sidelines" she is referring to cant afford to stay cash for very long with the rate at which the dollar is falling vs gold and vs other currencies. to me, its very clear what the government has signaled. they intend to pay off all the outstanding T bills with inflation and low interest rates.

anyone here piggy back off of warrens railroad investing?
You seem to be confusing inflation with the devaluing of the dollar. Not the same thing. We are still experiencing deflation in certain parts of the market. I think the overall point you are trying to make is accurate though; if the dollar "falls" 10%, the stock market does not "gain" 10% in the process in real terms, it's just adjusting to the currency it's denominated in.

Remember this, Whitney is not a trader. She doesn't even have money in the market, she's just a macroeconomic adviser. I'm not discrediting her in any way, it's just important to realize that distinction. Knowing an event is going to happen is at most 33% of the investing process, another 33% is figuring out when within a reasonable/manageable margin of error, and 33% is figuring out how to effectively and efficiently use the right securities to implement your thesis. Many people saw the housing crash coming and the collapse of various institutions, maybe 1-2% of them made significant money off of it.

The market over the long term is based on two things only-the firms' earnings that compose the market and how many dollars per share of earnings people are willing to pay (P/E ratio). In the short term, anything can happen.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:15 PM

You guys are both very smart (or you wouldn't be here ) and will probably make money. However at this point I'm stepping to the side.

I still have 30% of my trading funds invested in dividend stocks and my small amount of FIG 1700 but at this point I'm just not ready for the risk/reward. I don't want to give back my gains from the March to Sept trades.

I might grab a few more shares here and there if we get some dips (seem to happen at month end.) Will re-evaluate depending on policy/news. I can't make any more in short term because the tax is killing me.

Don
Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my question is, does anybody have any foreign (primarily) corporations that are low risk and offer a decent dividend? maybe like a jnj, mo, hnz equivalent that is euro or asian or even south american?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Just look in Canada. No reason to look elsewhere for the time being.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

subscribing
Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by trainwreck,Nov 18 2009, 04:10 PM
my question is, does anybody have any foreign (primarily) corporations that are low risk and offer a decent dividend? maybe like a jnj, mo, hnz equivalent that is euro or asian or even south american?
PM - Yes, I know it's technically a US company, but it's the non-US businesses of Philip Morris that were spun off about 2 yrs ago.

GSK - British pharma co with global footprint. Huge vaccines business. Strong oncology pipeline.

BCS - The only remaining British bank that refused Govt. money. Global banking footprint. Absolutely STOLE the good parts of Lehmann Bros in exchange for a ham sandwich, a Pepsi, and a pocket full of lint. (Not much of a dividend at the moment though.)

Andrew
Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Dubai bubble about to pop?

Woke up to Dow futures down 180.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:58 PM

WTF, NYSE invoked Rule 48 today!

"Rule 48 provides the Exchange with the ability to suspend the requirement to disseminate price indications and obtain Floor Official approval prior to the opening when extremely high market-wide volatility could cause Floor-wide delays in opening of securities on the Exchange."

http://traderupdates.nyse.com/2007/12/1st_...le_48_1212.html

They must be expecting some extreme volitility ahead.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My gut tells me there is a pothole in the road to recovery and we should just be about ready to hit it.

Market price doesn't reflect business reality anymore. Could a reality check be in order?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM

i'm banking on it to happen jan 2nd.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread