Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i trimmed 30% yesterday at 199.

not about to ride the train down this time again...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F5 (FFIV) reported a monster quarter last night. They crushed estimates on both revenue and income. They said alot of things on their conference call that bode well for other corporate IT infrastructure plays.

Andrew
Old 10-24-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by raymo19,Oct 19 2009, 01:22 PM
Why - if you don't mind me asking?
Look around. Everyone is cheering. It's the same reason I sold AAPL the last time it went over 200. It's based on the valuation and overall market. When everyone is looking at the stars, be weary. When everyone was throwing AAPL in the dumpster I was buying it in the 80's. I made my money, hit my profit target, and I'm no fool. If it goes to 300, so be it. My 30 shares will look terrific. If it goes to 150, most will sweat, I'll be buying again. Unemployment is 16% and it's not recovering, this rapid p/e expansion will deflate soon enough. P/e's are no longer that cheap on a lot of non energy stocks at this point.

Remember-if a stock pays no dividend, your earnings are when you take profits. I have most of my BP, KMP, LINE, because it's all paying me to sit. AAPL is not paying me, I have to pay myself by selling it.

The party doesn't last forever, it's usually better to leave before the cops show up rather than try to escape after they do.

If you are holding it for 10 years and you can afford to buy more as it goes lower without selling any now, go for it. My only issue with that is that you should have a F***ING $HIT T0N of shares from buying under 120. If you don't, then you should reevaluate your thesis.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:15 AM

i got rid of my apple shares at 206
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Oct 24 2009, 10:15 AM
Look around. Everyone is cheering. It's the same reason I sold AAPL the last time it went over 200. It's based on the valuation and overall market. When everyone is looking at the stars, be weary. When everyone was throwing AAPL in the dumpster I was buying it in the 80's. I made my money, hit my profit target, and I'm no fool. If it goes to 300, so be it. My 30 shares will look terrific. If it goes to 150, most will sweat, I'll be buying again. Unemployment is 16% and it's not recovering, this rapid p/e expansion will deflate soon enough. P/e's are no longer that cheap on a lot of non energy stocks at this point.

Remember-if a stock pays no dividend, your earnings are when you take profits. I have most of my BP, KMP, LINE, because it's all paying me to sit. AAPL is not paying me, I have to pay myself by selling it.

The party doesn't last forever, it's usually better to leave before the cops show up rather than try to escape after they do.

If you are holding it for 10 years and you can afford to buy more as it goes lower without selling any now, go for it. My only issue with that is that you should have a F***ING $HIT T0N of shares from buying under 120. If you don't, then you should reevaluate your thesis.
I totally agree with you on your logic.

I don't have any AAPL, never have but do agree that so many stocks are over valued.

I have conflicting feelings on where we are in this recovery.

Many friends are working for companies that are downsizing, having to do work share, eliminating positions, so I just don't see recovery. However, we are at 50% of the rebound from oversold end of the world theory, so I really don't know where I stand. Is the glass half full or half empty?

To me it could be a slight sell off 10-15% then a lack luster market for years to come?

I just don't know what to do from this point.

Still dumpster diving for some value but get spooked really easy. I see value in health care but too much Obomanation involved so it makes me nervous.

Don
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 AM

hmm well i just invested $100 on stocks. well not all 100 bucks since im new to this stock thing. i bought 2 Intel shares and 2 western union shares. we will see what happens.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:27 AM

took up a stake in CLF this afternoon fwiw.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:07 AM

Go BP..
Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 AM

FSLR took a punch to the gut yesterday.
CLF responded well the day after my purchase (+7%)
Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 AM

i got some bank of america yum! made me some monies!

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread