Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyu626,May 26 2009, 03:42 PM
Geez I followed YGE when it was 6.XX. Cant believe its at 11.XX in such a short time frame.

Congrats to you =)

Maybe I'll get in it when it goes back down to single digits. I owend YGE early 08 when it was wayyyyyyy higher. luckily i got out before it tanked.
i initially got in at 4.05
Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by therookie,May 26 2009, 02:22 PM
i initially got in at 4.05
Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Feel free to post your next purchases and price ahahah. So I can do some research and maybe tag along for the ride =)
Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Trying to decide when to take my profits from YGE...
Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 AM

fwiw, took up spec positions in DPTR and HERO.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM

You just brought to mind another pair of iconic investment portfolios:

Suncor Energy Inc., Perot Systems Corporation, and Hercules Offshore, Inc.: the SU-PER HERO portfolio

Gulf Power Company, Telefonica de Argentina SA (ADR), and Hercules Offshore, Inc.: the GUI-TAR HERO portfolio
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one loony market. I believe we are at a point where people are jumping in thinking they are going to miss the rally going forward. Normally that is a clear sell indicator. The one thing that could make this time different would be inflation. Is the government driving the market higher using taxpayer dollars with the help of skewed media reporting?

Who is doing the manipulating, the banks with government funds or the actual government? Not to be tin foil but the media has not reported any negative news for months. Everything reported is either a green shoot or spun positive with help from the second derivative. This holds true even with treasury note yields soaring and oil continuing to climb a mountain to economic ruin. The media is claiming that a steepening yield curve means that the economy is turning around and oil moving higher indicates the return to the risk trade.

Let's take each item individually and spread some light on the truth. Treasury prices should be on the increase with the quantitative easing program. The quantitative easing program was announced to bring down mortgage rates which are tied to long maturity t-notes. It is no more than another government intervention program to skew reality. In the media world where the messiah Obama rules all, higher 30 year fixed rates are a positive for the mortgage market! Over the past three weeks, 30 year mortage rates have gone from about 4.8% to 5.5%. That makes me want to run out and buy a still overpriced house (sarcasm). There was an article on Drudge Report last night that stated the treasury is confused by bond rates.

Now lets get to oil, global supply is up and demand is down yet prices keep increasing. Anyone who has taken Economics 101 knows that doesn't make any sense. CNBC is reporting that commodities are increasing because the appetite for risk has returned. Could it be possible that the same people who ran oil to $150/bbl are back in the futures markets? Noooooooooooo......... that makes too much sense. I believe they are one in the same, except this time they have trillions of taxpayer dollars at their disposal. Have you heard a peep from the national media about the prices of gasoline increasing at the pump and squeezing people's wallets like you did when Bush was president? I haven't and after reading some comments from Obama believe that the current administration wants oil at these inflated levels so they can continue to push "green". At what point does oil prices bring out the truth in how sour the economic environment is in this country? Oil $75, or $100, or $150, or with the help of inflation $300?

Every household in the U.S. now owes over $545,668 to cover the amount of debt we have accrued. Is a 75%+ future income tax rate worth moving the stock market higher in the short-term? I don't think so!

What do you think about the points brought up above? Do you think inflation will be a problem within the next three years? Are you following the economic data close enough to see how the media is spinning everything positive? What do you think about the price of oil and the treasury market?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure the news has been very positive recently however I would argue the only reason we got so low was because the media reported nothing but disaster. We are still way below where the market was 18 months ago. The market is trading heavily on technicals and today just chalked up another huge technical indicator, (closing above 200 day SMA) and so I think a lot of people are jumping on for a little more of a ride. As to where it stops who knows, I was asking the same question as it was falling. Meanwhile my strategy is to trade careful and set stops pretty much as soon as a position goes green.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by AZDavid,Jun 1 2009, 03:12 PM
Not to be tin foil but the media has not reported any negative news for months. Everything reported is either a green shoot or spun positive with help from the second derivative.
I don't know what news you've been watching, but all I've seen for the past week is incredibly negative news, and yet the market climbs higher.

Let's see, in the last week: North Korea nuclear test, multiple North Korea missile launches, the Saudis say they want oil at $80/brl, multiple suicide bombings and attacks in nuclear power Pakistan, nationwide US unemployment surpassed 9%, Q1 2009 US home prices declined at a record 19.1% pace, DOW component GM went bankrupt... And yet we still gained 500+ points on the DOW in that period.

If you're not going to sell during a week with news like that, when are you going to sell? There are no more sellers left.

Andrew
Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Is this the new Bull Market???
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Jun 1 2009, 08:59 PM
Is this the new Bull Market???
I would call it the overly euphoric because the government won't let it go down two days in a row market.

Yay for printing presses!!

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread