Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Dec 29 2008, 05:50 PM
Cabela's (CAB) was down 23% today on basically no news. I bought some around midday. As far as I can tell, it looks like it was due to tax-loss selling combined with general fears about specialty retailers.

This specialty retailer sells camping and hunting gear - including GUNS and AMMO, and LOTS OF THEM. I don't know if any of you have a Cabela's retail store near you, but I was at the one in PA last weekend, and it was packed. There was barely anywhere to park in the lot. There was a line 20+ people deep to get to the firearms counter to buy guns and ammo.

Ever since the elections and the economic meltdown, there has been a massive spike in the sales of firearms and ammo. Firearms retail prices both new and used are inflated right now. Cabelas sells new guns, used guns, ammo, and other gun gear. I believe Cablea's will see massive benefits from the FUD about both potential future gun legislation and the deteriorated economic environment.

Andrew
This was one of my better calls recently. They did handily beat Q4 earnings expectations thanks to firearms-related sales.

CAB is up big today on the results, but mostly due to short covering. Short interest was a whopping 19% of available shares at the end of Jan 09. Should this be the exit point or will we see a day or two more of surge in the price as the shorts cover? The stock is pretty thinly traded, only about 400,000 shares daily...

Andrew
Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today's action thus far:

Started a first time position in BP.

Added to JNJ position.

edit: getting SLAUGHTERED today
Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nobody buying at an 11 year low? i am assuming everyone is out of cash and scared.

has anybody on there been short the market the last few months?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM

I'd like to add to an existing GE position. But I have a feeling we will be going even lower in the near term...

Andrew
Old 02-20-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jimreaper,Feb 6 2009, 10:49 AM
What news?

It's gone up 50% in 2 days.
So any other smart ass remarks about BAC? It was destroyed since I said to watch out. Did you buy and it and sell it on that single pop? Doubt it.

I made some money today. Shorted BRK.B from the opening print for a 4 figure gain in about 15 mins. Went long BAC-L in the middle of the rally and did well with that too. Absolute insanity in the preferred shares today, absolute insanity.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Feb 20 2009, 04:02 PM
I'd like to add to an existing GE position. But I have a feeling we will be going even lower in the near term...

Andrew
i will be doing the same. i recall your CAB prediction and was hoping to get in, but didn't get my tax refund in time. missed it...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 AM

I just exited CAB this morning. It might have some more upside on the short squeeze in the next day or two, but it will not stay here forever.

The other issue I believe will be problematic for them is that firearms and ammo sales propelled their q4 earnings. But now firearms retailers are having trouble getting new inventory of both guns and ammo. The sales spike is so severe that retailers could sell all the prodcut they can get their hands on now. But the manufactureres cannot keep up, and product pickings are slim. And as I result, I suspect they may be in for a big letdown with this current Q's results

Andrew
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trainwreck,Feb 20 2009, 02:17 PM
nobody buying at an 11 year low? i am assuming everyone is out of cash and scared.

has anybody on there been short the market the last few months?
I'm out of the short-term trading game right now, no time to follow it so putting money in is dumb for me and I can't be bother to deal with the tax and accounting issues that come with it for what little profit I would make given the time I would need and the risks I would have to take.

I don't thing we'll see a real bottom until later this year, maybe Aug-Sept before the banking instability is resolved. I'm waiting for at least 10 banks to be nationalized before the shit is cleaned out of the market. I can't honestly justify playing a market where a large number of insolvent businesses continue to operate. There are at least 1000 insolvent banks right now who's doors remain open.

I stick to my earlier prediction of DOW 6000, S&P 600 and NASDAQ 1000.

That's the bottom. I'll wait for it.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Wow the drop zone ride is nuts!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At this rate we could hit the 6000 bottom by Friday. I some ways I just wish they (the market) would just get it over with. People talk about confidence. We aren't going to see it until this market finally finds its bottom.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread