Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c=cancer in ur portfolio.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalAp2,Jul 1 2008, 10:22 AM
anyone bought C?? what do you guys think?
Not yet, let a couple big names go under before you jump into banks.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im not going to lie i dont have to huge of a tolerances for losses i am looking for something to hold on to and make some money not strike it rich of course that would be cool too. I am looking for something that would be stable somewhat and that i can hold on too, i do have some capital that i can afford to lose so i do lose money its not the end of the world but i would like to play it safe, and CD's just do not have enough return at all i have 80 k in a cd and it makes 200$ a month...yea
Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 AM

^go to ur favorite large cap mutual fund's website. look in the holdings. buy companies u recognize. u'll be fine.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 AM

I am REALLY worried about the employment report on Thursday.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by martha,Jul 1 2008, 07:30 AM
I'm getting hammered by MOS. At this point, I hate to sell and take such a hit and it's fallen enough that I'm wondering if I should start buying more. Anyone have an opinion? I know someone mentioned awhile back they might start buying at 145 -- well it's 138.xx now. What do you think?
what's your cost basis? for the short term, nothing is going to be going much higher. Personally, I'm still averaging down on my favorite names in my portfolio. Timing the market hasn't been successful for me so this strategy has kept me from chasing.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ExOdy,Jul 1 2008, 02:25 PM
what's your cost basis? for the short term, nothing is going to be going much higher. Personally, I'm still averaging down on my favorite names in my portfolio. Timing the market hasn't been successful for me so this strategy has kept me from chasing.
It was 152.xx which shows how overly enthusiastic I was about the company at one point. Good, bad or indifferent I did decide to pick up some more today at 137.xx so we'll see what happens from here. Overall, I'm about 37% cash and will probably stay that way for awhile. I don't have a good feel right now and even the energy stocks aren't performing despite the commodity prices. I think the sidelines is the place for me right now.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 AM

It is funny how we have a short covering rally from very slighly positive news and CNBC wants to call a bottom for the year.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM

It was looking like capitulation for days (serious rising volume, dropping price) and now... what? Can't tell what it means yet.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper_s2k,Jul 1 2008, 04:26 AM
i think V is fundamentally good, just needs some news for the market to justify breaking out of that high 70's mid 80's range.

sahtt, which refiner are you long? i was holding TSO for a long time and was able to average down and sell for a minor loss, but things aren't really looking good for refiners unless you're hedging against a fall in oil.

which oil driller are you long? they all seem so expensive..
I'm long MRO and NOV. MRO is about 50% a refiner. It's a balanced play given the risks in the market place as a whole right now. I bough it at 50.xx and again at 49.xx, it typically holds around 52$. I bought NOV half way through it's 10 move in 2 days. I know NOV very well. I don't know about short term fluctuations but I went and visited my old coworkers and boss last week and let's say they are "busy". Firms like RIG and NOV are booked for years.

As for the price, PEG wise they are actually still cheap if you look at firms like RIG, it also has a P/E of 9 like MRO. NOV is up there around 20 but it has a lot of high profit margin products/services and more growth than usual.

V is good too but in this market environment I don't have any reason to buy any. Longer term as cthree has thoroughly mentioned there is a transition taking place that is bigger than whether the DJIA is at 11k or 14k that V is benefiting from, and I also like their position as a whole in their market. If I knew how to value it better I might own some.

I'm using GG as a hedge instead of SKF even though SKF is just plain screaming, so far it's working well and after doing a little math up I'm a few % since 11,7 on the DOW without actually shorting anything and just recently dipping in to the QID.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread