Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trainwreck,Oct 17 2008, 09:27 AM
i think its pretty obvious there are many picks out there with same upside but much less risk than pot right now.

no need to pick up pot...

pots time is over.

after looking at my 401k i might need to pick up some pot... not the stock.

You need some Canadian POT

Looks like people are taking Mr. Buffets advice and are buying back stocks
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 AM

given the big sell off in ISRG today, I picked up a small holding. I love this company, and although it's still very richly valued, I haven't seen it at these prices very often.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused about the state of our economy. I was braced for bad earnings from GOOG but they came through just fine. WTF?!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Oct 18 2008, 07:43 AM
I'm confused about the state of our economy. I was braced for bad earnings from GOOG but they came through just fine. WTF?!
Because most of this is overblown.....IMO.

But then again.....Google makes a lot from advertising....and there seems to always be a bull market somewhere...or in some sector....and those bull market sectors will advertise.

Look at Peabody's earnings....coal hasn't fallen.....but their stock prices have...they blew away estimates and raised guidance.

Commodities are the spot to be IMO....when we come out of this funk.....inflation is going to run rampent.

to each their own.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:17 AM

Some things are overblown. The "castration" of the energy trade/correlated earnings as was once said on CNBC is a joke. If you look carefully, much of GOOG's earnings were done by the doubleclick acquisition. Not sure how much their actual ad revenue increased.

Many oil/energy firms have came out with strong earnings. So have some firms like YUM. For someone willing to wait a few years, coal consumption is not going down significantly. I've been tediously selling pops and buying dips and have knocked my cost basis down 5-10% in all my holdings over the past week or two. EEV worked out unusually well which was a bonus.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google makes SO much money from advertising that any real drop in the economy is bound to show up in their earnings. Niche customers (bull market somewhere) can't support their overall income and they dominate the on-line ad market. They can't compensate by grabbing a bunch of market share.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of their revenue was derived from the double click acquisition. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples earnings wise.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:22 PM

Futures are up 240 points
Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Commodities is NOT the place to be going into a protracted recession. WTF gives you the idea that slow worldwide economic growth is going to drive demand for commodities?

Gold? Short that bitch back to $600. There isn't a single economist that predicts any kind of inflation for several years. Gold and silver are way over priced. A few weeks ago (on the first spike) I said short the GLD and I stick with that idea. I also said the buy the TBT ultrashort US 10 treasuries, again, that remains the play.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:16 AM

While I wouldn't be buying commodities outright, if a firm provides consistent cash flow, sustains growth, and has a very low evaluation, it doesn't really matter to me if they do that through renting out oil rigs or tv's. This only applies once it's priced extremely cheap and you have some sort of hedge just in case. Some firms are decent buys here with low risk, BP yielding 6% at 45 etc. is a great buy, as is OXY, especially if it comes down a little more. You certainly don't want a large portion of your assets in commodities (muchless all of them..) but a little exposure as their evaluations come down is not a reckless idea. I transfered some of my RIG out when it popped in to the 80's in to some safer/more dividend oriented plays.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread