Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if we don't see a bailout by this weekend i think we can see a 5% drop in all the major indexes come monday.

bailout = inflation + lower dollar + higher taxes
Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM

i am losing money on my stocks way faster than i can make them from my day job.

people keep saying "buy low", but every "low" is following by new low

this really sucks
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 AM

^ do you know what long term mean bro? You can never catch a bottom. Buy some here and if it falls more and you still like the company buy more at a lower price.

Warren Buffet feels like a kid again when the market feels like the end of the world is coming because he get good solid company for a cheap price.

Also, don't you think it was time for a bear market after having so many years of a bull market? Just think long term man, 3-5 years from now you'll have a nicer, fatter, bank account for investing
Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Sep 26 2008, 08:57 AM
^ do you know what long term mean bro? You can never catch a bottom. Buy some here and if it falls more and you still like the company buy more at a lower price.

Warren Buffet feels like a kid again when the market feels like the end of the world is coming because he get good solid company for a cheap price.

Also, don't you think it was time for a bear market after having so many years of a bull market? Just think long term man, 3-5 years from now you'll have a nicer, fatter, bank account for investing
agreed! this is an awesome buying opportunity
Old 09-26-2008, 03:43 PM

I would be accumulating metals, energy, agriculture.

we are going to see inflation in the future.

although....if this gets bad enough....like depression style...we could also see deflation.........which then you want foriegn bonds or some sort.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by lOOkatme,Sep 26 2008, 03:43 PM
I would be accumulating metals, energy, agriculture.

we are going to see inflation in the future.

although....if this gets bad enough....like depression style...we could also see deflation.........which then you want foriegn bonds or some sort.
Indeed, inflation is not what you want to worry about.

All signals point towards deflation. This will catch many, many people by surprise which is astounding. Wages falling, largest assets falling in value, this isn't rocket science.

This is not to say that commodities can't provide value, but massive sustained run ups will be difficult/impossible without extremely low interest rates etc.

The fed will cut rates at all costs to keep us from getting in to a deflationary period, especially with ben at the wheel. This is why you need some sort of hard asset exposure, if you buy a firm (stock) make sure it has no debt obligations and strong cash flow.

There isn't any easy solution out of this crisis. Even going all cash is actually quite risky.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 AM

FUNNY CLIP...WATCH IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrUs5...eature=related
Old 09-29-2008, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to be weird to see Apple on the new 52 week low list.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:47 AM

It's once again that age-old question of whether sit on what you have and watch it deteriorate further, hoping there is a recovery prior to retirement or sell everything at a huge loss which will insure a recovery instantly for the rest of you!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 AM

Yeah martha I am in the same boat. Tech is getting hammered this morning and I keep asking myself...Do i stick it out?! or do i sell?! My Apple and RIMM don't look to good this morning.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread