Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Would you used an auto garage like this?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,409 Posts

Originally Posted by 1AP12NV,Aug 29 2007, 09:06 AM
I think Rprsntng757's reasoning is faulty as the $3M figure was picked out of the sky (I'm guessing what you envision is probably going to be less expensive than a full blown military (backed with gvt money) hobby shop).

Keep crunching the numbers. Does this stand a chance of making you millions? I doubt it. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't bring in some money.

The subscription idea puts a whole different spin on it and changes the equation too. Now you're talking about getting your money whether the customers use it or not (great idea).

Keep us posted on your planning!
Kinda like Gold's... I haven't darkened their doorstep in better than six months but they still get there $40 right on time...

Maybe I should so something about that.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Aug 28 2007, 02:40 AM
Get that bead blaster fixed!

Its fixed finally Skip!!! Works good too, I blasted some rotors to try it out off some mustang that had rust like it was a factory option.

And the hobby shops on base, do not make profit. We make close to $1,500-$2,000 a week, thats not even enough to pay for the employees that work there, its one of those facilities there for your need, not to break your pockets. But if you do choose to go ahead and go through with this business plan, I'd recommend coming to one of the hobby shops in the area and see how its ran first hand. Everyone has a friend thats either in the military or has government job, just tag along and check it all out.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no friends...

Used the shop today to have them mount/balance my new Bridgestones purchased elsewhere: $50. Thanks, Louis.

AlwaysBoosted = Louis = works at our hobby shop
Old 08-29-2007, 03:05 PM

And the hobby shops on base, do not make profit. We make close to $1,500-$2,000 a week, thats not even enough to pay for the employees that work there, its one of those facilities there for your need, not to break your pockets. But if you do choose to go ahead and go through with this business plan, I'd recommend coming to one of the hobby shops in the area and see how its ran first hand. Everyone has a friend thats either in the military or has government job, just tag along and check it all out.
you will be a great resource for my research! if you don't mind, please pm me your contact info because i would love to get your input as i start putting some real meat into the business plan. how much do they charge for flat and lift bays per/hr to make the 1500-2000 a week? another thing you guys are missing regarding "knowing" someone that has access, some of the base are "closed" to civilians. like fort meade, you need to have damn near a letter from the president to get your vehicle on base. so that means to me the nearest hobbie shop is apg, right?
The subscription idea puts a whole different spin on it and changes the equation too. Now you're talking about getting your money whether the customers use it or not (great idea).
that's not a bad idea, but i would have a problem paying a subscription like that and not being able to use a bay when i get there. it could be a chance that one wouldn't be available unlike walking into Gold's and it not being any workout equipment to use.
This is a VERY bad idea... One of the first rules of business is to keep your personal stuff as far away as possible from your business. That little "LLC" at the end is your shield and it keeps you from loosing your home because some asshat decided to sue you.
i totally agree! so bad of an idea that it wasn't even worth commenting on!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=FF2Skip,Aug 29 2007, 04:45 PM] I have no friends...

Used the shop today to have them mount/balance my new Bridgestones purchased elsewhere: $50.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Md750iL,Aug 29 2007, 06:05 PM
you will be a great resource for my research! if you don't mind, please pm me your contact info because i would love to get your input as i start putting some real meat into the business plan. how much do they charge for flat and lift bays per/hr to make the 1500-2000 a week? another thing you guys are missing regarding "knowing" someone that has access, some of the base are "closed" to civilians. like fort meade, you need to have damn near a letter from the president to get your vehicle on base. so that means to me the nearest hobbie shop is apg, right?

that's not a bad idea, but i would have a problem paying a subscription like that and not being able to use a bay when i get there. it could be a chance that one wouldn't be available unlike walking into Gold's and it not being any workout equipment to use.

i totally agree! so bad of an idea that it wasn't even worth commenting on!
not a problem. we charge $3.50 pr/hr for flat stalls, (basically working on the cardboard in the garage at home but with access to all the tools you could need) $4.50 pr/hr for lifts, including oil change lifts. the stalls all include usage of tools, but we make most of our money selling BG goodies, storage, oil and etc, other services not so much on the actual use of lifts. but when you have 50+ patrons coming through on a busy saturday it adds up, we normally take in $800+on saturdays. We have welding services, plasma cutting, ac, alignments, glass beading, mounting/dismount balancing of tires, resurficing rotors, tranny services, and probably a few more. just depends on what the patrons are doing.

as far as i know on quantico as long as your with someone who has either a government id or military id, you can get on the base and have them check out the stall for you, and use the hobby shop. example... the gear install by Jeff and Skip, i believe only 2 that had the install done that day had a military or government id and the others had no problem getting on base, just trying to locate the hobby shop was the problem.

but if you have anymore questions just PM me.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Resisting..... editing..... your..... posts.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 PM

do it, no one has read it yet!

EDITED for you Skip, to all others PM me for details
Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM

not a problem. we charge $3.50 pr/hr for flat stalls, (basically working on the cardboard in the garage at home but with access to all the tools you could need) $4.50 pr/hr for lifts, including oil change lifts. the stalls all include usage of tools, but we make most of our money selling BG goodies, storage, oil and etc, other services not so much on the actual use of lifts. but when you have 50+ patrons coming through on a busy saturday it adds up, we normally take in $800+on saturdays. We have welding services, plasma cutting, ac, alignments, glass beading, mounting/dismount balancing of tires, resurficing rotors, tranny services, and probably a few more. just depends on what the patrons are doing.
that's less than it is here! what does BG stand for? BF Goodwrench? I'm most definitely going to get in contact with you soon.

as far as i know on quantico as long as your with someone who has either a government id or military id, you can get on the base and have them check out the stall for you, and use the hobby shop. example... the gear install by Jeff and Skip, i believe only 2 that had the install done that day had a military or government id and the others had no problem getting on base, just trying to locate the hobby shop was the problem.
i would guess quantico is an open base because i'm pretty sure everyone needs an id card to get onto fort meade as well as the car registration plaque. if someone knows different, please let me know

do it, no one has read it yet!

EDITED for you Skip, to all others PM me for details
what was that all about...i wanna know!