Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Would you used an auto garage like this?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 AM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine was seriously looking in to opening up a civilian hobby shop, but decided after some research and working up a business plan that it just isn't that feasible. Much like rprsntng above wrote, it would take a long while to break even. The main problem is that here (at least in the Hampton Roads area) there are a TON of military people that already have access to the hobby shops on base. Most of them would not pay 5 or 10x more to use the non-military shop, even if it were a lot nicer. So you're basically looking at people who aren't in the military, and don't have tools or a garage of their own. While that would definitely cover a lot of people, it just wouldn't be enough to actually make a profit.

He also thought about running a dyno at this shop, but that's another huge cost, plus you need people to run it. That's more overhead and staff that you'll need to pay for.

Finally, the insurance costs would be high, because the last thing you need is someone hurting themselves there and then suing you because of it.

It's a good idea, and would be nice if there was such a thing for us civilians... but I just don't see anyone putting up the money to get something like this off the ground.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM

i thought about this idea many times before. it just doesnt seem like it will be profitable enough to actually do.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1AP12NV,Aug 27 2007, 07:11 PM
I think opening a private one would be a FANTASTIC idea. However, just make sure you speak with some experts before taking the plunge as I thin the single largest expense for a place like that might be insurance against customers' injurys.
It's called a waiver form.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aze85,Aug 28 2007, 02:48 PM
i thought about this idea many times before. it just doesnt seem like it will be profitable enough to actually do.

Now on the other hand, if you have your own house, and have a large garage, and happen to have a lift and tools there and you charged people (non friends) 15/20 bucks an hour to use. That would be a better idea/plan.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Aug 28 2007, 09:50 PM
It's called a waiver form.
That doesn't cut it. I'm buying insurance for the track event for FC, yet every person that enters SP has to sign a waiver. Every business needs insurance.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=vbb,Aug 28 2007, 03:44 PM] So you're basically looking at people who ... don't have tools or a garage of their own.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 AM

That would be very great... but is there an entry fee planned?
entry fee...what do you mean? like a membership fee? i didn't plan on having a fee for it, but it would be a membership. i'll have to keep track of it somehow because there will no doubt be a training video to watch and liability waiver that will need to be signed (for insurance purposes like 1AP12NV mentioned)

My question is... how do you guard against theft of tools? I know that on a military base there is decent accountability, but when you deal with civilians, they might be more apt to steal some tools.
i haven't quite nailed down anything as of yet, but i'm thinking some kind of bar coding on all of the tools. i do have a plan that i think would work, but too much to get into typing on the forum.

With regard to OnlyHonda4Me's comments, perhaps offering the space at a lower price (< $15) and ditching the idea of providing tools. That eliminates the theft threat and also cuts your overhead drastically.
i think that's one of the main benefits of the garage. i don't have to worry about tools and certain sizes etc. so for me, the tools are a must have

Rprsntng757,
thanks for the advice, but in my business plan thus far, it's nowhere near $3mil. but thanks for the thorough explanation...get some sleep man!

first, the feedback you guys are giving me is AWESOME and i really appreciate it! i've been thinking of this for some time now and i think i'm going to do something about it soon and put it into action. another question i have is location...i was initially thinking about doing it in hartford county near aberdeen proving ground, but i see an aweful lot of tuners in the laurel area as well so i'm thinking this area wouldn't be bad either.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Aug 28 2007, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the military is losing money on their hobby shops... $3/hr probably doesn't even cover electricity.

Of course, the $3 million figure is in government-spent money, so maybe you could outfit a similar setup for about $50,000
Kinda' my point.

A small portion of that is MY money. I'll shut up now.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:52 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,409 Posts

[QUOTE=blue03s2k,Aug 28 2007, 09:53 PM] Now on the other hand, if you have your own house, and have a large garage, and happen to have a lift and tools there and you charged people (non friends) 15/20 bucks an hour to use.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 AM

I think Rprsntng757's reasoning is faulty as the $3M figure was picked out of the sky (I'm guessing what you envision is probably going to be less expensive than a full blown military (backed with gvt money) hobby shop).

Keep crunching the numbers. Does this stand a chance of making you millions? I doubt it. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't bring in some money.

The subscription idea puts a whole different spin on it and changes the equation too. Now you're talking about getting your money whether the customers use it or not (great idea).

Keep us posted on your planning!

Quick Reply: Would you used an auto garage like this?