Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Would you used an auto garage like this?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you used an auto garage like this?

Hi Guys & Gals,

I used to be in the military and I still have access to an auto skills shop. for those non-military types that know nothing about the auto skills shop or "hobbie shop" as we call it, imagine a garage with flat bays and lifts, air tools, and all the wrenches, ratchets, sockets you will ever need...that is what the auto skills shop is. i LOVE this place! i have saved SOOO MUCH money doing stuff like installing my entire aftermarket suspension (i installed it 4-5hrs...instead of the 16hrs BMW quoted me), oil changes, and diff exchanges. I realized that there may not be a place like this available outside of a military base.

I'm asking in this forum since I'm local to this area. Would you guys use a place like this if it were available? If so, what would you say a "must have" for it? I just thought today it would be pretty cool to have a dyno there (which the auto skills shop doesn't have).

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:47 PM

yea, those hobbie shops are awesome. my friend goes to one at one of the airforce bases to work on his mustang. i wish i had access to one :/
Old 08-27-2007, 03:27 PM

i think ppl that used them take them for granted until it's not available anymore.

i'm looking for ideas because i'm seriously thinking of opening one. it would be little far from NoVA, but of course you would be welcomed. what would be the most you would pay to use a bay per/hr...$15-20/hr? remember, you would have access to all the tools you need so no need to bring tools with you.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Hobby shop, eh? Sounds like a great idea!

(Been to the one at Quantico a few times...)
Old 08-27-2007, 03:33 PM

had a nice install at quantico once.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:11 PM

I think opening a private one would be a FANTASTIC idea. However, just make sure you speak with some experts before taking the plunge as I thin the single largest expense for a place like that might be insurance against customers' injurys.

If you could make it work, I'd say I'd do up to $15 / hour for a bay. Also it would be key to have a good reservation system so people could reserve a bay (perhaps paying ahead of time) when they're ready to do certain work.

Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress if you give it a go!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:14 PM

That would be very great... but is there an entry fee planned?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:33 PM

I think that's a pretty sweet idea... and if I had a good size project I'd need to work on, it would definitely be on my list of cool options to have for working on my car

My question is... how do you guard against theft of tools? I know that on a military base there is decent accountability, but when you deal with civilians, they might be more apt to steal some tools.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I like $3/hr better.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Aug 28 2007, 01:51 AM
I like $3/hr better.
Well I like that better too, but it doesn't mean he could run a business on that fee

With regard to OnlyHonda4Me's comments, perhaps offering the space at a lower price (< $15) and ditching the idea of providing tools. That eliminates the theft threat and also cuts your overhead drastically.

I wouldn't mind lugging a tool box to someplace like that if they had lifts, other large (difficult to steal) equipment, ample electric, and ample air access. After all people can bring their own air tools

Quick Reply: Would you used an auto garage like this?