Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Who drove there S to work this morning?

Old 02-27-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lehighwiz
[B]its not accelerating that worries me.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:27 AM

This past week I've prolly put about 200 miles on my car.....The SO-3s rock! When driving in the snow (like last night for instance) you have to plan way ahead. Keep your distance, drive slow, don't accelerate hard out of corners, and don't get stuck on inclines. A full tank of gas helps too IMO.

Next winter though I'll prolly put snow tires on my stock rims.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:43 PM

That's the real beauty of the snow tires...they stop and turn as well as they accelerate. Better even, since you can use all 4 to stop you, but only 2 to accelerate. While I haven't tested this per se, I bet I can outbrake any SUV out there in the snow
No offense, but I find that difficult to believe. Although more weight (suv) = more to stop, I find that it helps out with traction on snow. The weight essentially adds grip at a higher rate than the added weight adds demand for grip. Just watch a full sized 4x4 stop in snow under hard braking. A light car like our S's would drift away, despite having less momentum to stop.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:15 PM

Weight has the same order effect on weight as it does on friction. Sandbagging and the like helps with traction since it shifts the weight distribution towards the drive wheels.

The better brakes (not just more power but better control) and lower center of gravity will aid a sports car. And expecially with the 50/50 weight distribution of the S, all 4 wheels will be able to brake effectively while the rear wheels on front heavy SUV's and pickups won't be able to provide much help.

I assure you, the car doesn't drift and can brake surprisingly hard when wearing the proper shoes in the snow.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by ejis
I'll probably put the top down this afternoon
That's AWESOME man! I love to see a hard core rag-top fan. Now if I could just get my S unburied from the 4 feet that is still around/on it.

- Andrew
Old 02-27-2003, 06:04 PM

Thank you Diamond Star for my venerable Mistubishi Eclipse GSX. I even smoked a BMW 540 for 2 0r 300 feet the other evening, but my S 2000 is neve going ot see this nasty white stuff. I hate to pay rental on my storage garage for another month, but so be it. Slast year I had already driven top down in shirtsleeves to work. Now is the Winter of our Discontent....
Old 02-27-2003, 06:58 PM

My S is a daily driver. Itz been going over snow, rain, etc etc. I drove mine today to work as usual and made it back home all safe and sound. Cept it took 30 minutes to creep up my driveway. Poor baby was skidding and sliding back and forth the whole way. Average RPM used to pull it up was around 6000. It reeked of burnt rubber by the time it made it to the garage. Smelled good... . It hit the wheels and the rear bumper along the way up (on the piled snow on the side of the driveway) but there were no damages to the S.

Tuner
Old 02-28-2003, 05:22 AM

After doing a little empirical research last night, I'm going to add a few things. I drove my S shod with snows back to back with my Subaru Legacy GT wagon (5 spd) with high end all-seasons. While ultimate traction with the S was superior, I had a much greater ability to use it effectively with the Subaru. With all four wheels getting power, power slides and normal slipping in low traction conditions were much easier (for me) to control and keep in check. Also, the higher inertia of the car slowed the spin down. I was much more comfortable in the Subaru even though there was less available ultimate grip - it was much easier for me to drive. Note that I have 5 winters - and many many hours in the snow - in the Subaru, and this is my first with the S, so that may have something to do with my comfort level.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:35 AM

I drove 14 miles to the train station this morning, just like any other day! Folks are right when they say the car is great when shod correctly for snow. I've had to go up some pretty steep hills during the last couple of storms and I got to tell you that the car took 'em like a champ. It stops really well too! As long as you're easy on the controls, the car is terrific. I felt a lot more uneasy driving in the rain on my SO2's. No kidding! Whenever I go out in the snow, I test for traction and stopping very soon after getting going, if traffic permits. Then I know what I'm dealing with. I just LOVE passing up SUV's that are stuck. It's so much fun!

Marc
Old 02-28-2003, 02:14 PM

I was really curious about whether or not anyone here took their S out in this smaller snow storm...None of the dealers near me were willing to let people test drive the S, even after the snow had stopped (there was nothing on the roads by then). Needless to say I was a little disappointed...What's worse is the weekend weather forecast doesn't look promising either...I just can't win!

Quick Reply: Who drove there S to work this morning?