Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Where is the oil smell coming from?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the oil smell coming from?

I have about 113,000 miles on my 01 s2k, I smell oil burning from under the hood. I've checked under the hood,under the car and around the oil filter couldn't find any leaks.
I have read around and I understand AP1 burn oil but my car really smells bad especially when I come to stop lights. Has anybody else had this happen or can some one help me pin point from where the smell is coming from. I' m located in Southern MD
Old 09-18-2012, 03:16 AM

Burning smell could be many things. Valve cover gasket might be leaking from rear or it could be simply plastic bag you ran over and got stuck underneath your car. I would raise the car off the ground and get underneath your car and see if you see anything.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a test pipe?

I've got an '02 with maybe 102k on it right now and every now and then I get a good whiff of burnt oil after I engine brake to a stop light, etc. If I pay close enough attention when I drive away from the light sometimes I can see a little blue puff of smoke. This makes me think its valveguide seals but I'm definitely smelling it coming out of the exhaust and not from the engine bay. Its worse when coming off a long right hand sweeper like an offramp but that would be because of our valvecover baffling.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's funny. My AP1 with 138K miles burns oil, and I can see a little bit of buildup between the head gasket and the head cover gasket. But I don't smell it. I've got the inverse condition.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmmm my AP1 does not burn oil.... i guess i got the lucky S.... hehe
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have heater wrap or bad cat? or Leak slave cylinder from brake.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 AM

I have a test pipe on my 2k and I can definitely smell it. Never did before I put it on. But I would put yours up on a lift and check it out. Valves leak and sometimes they don't leak like Niagra falls but drip and burn. I would definitely check there
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM

I put the car on jack stands this morning, no plastic bags . The smell is pretty much constant, I don't see any smoke or anything from the exhaust, oh and I have a test pipe.
My valve cover has some dirt around the gasket but I don't see any major leaks
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by PNDABUR
I put the car on jack stands this morning, no plastic bags . The smell is pretty much constant, I don't see any smoke or anything from the exhaust, oh and I have a test pipe.
My valve cover has some dirt around the gasket but I don't see any major leaks
It could be that test pipe. Mine has a bit more of an exhaust leak smell to it, but at the same time smells like oil burning. I check the oil every time I put gas in the car. I know my ap1 eats oil but I haven't seen any leaks. It's an odd little car LOL
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Ill check the test pipe tomorrow with the car running. I check my oil when I put gas in the car and the oil looks fresh and clean but it smells like its burning. I just hope it's nothing major

Quick Reply: Where is the oil smell coming from?