Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Wheel Bearing Repair/ Repair Shop?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing Repair/ Repair Shop?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a decent shop to get some wheel bearings replaced? I hope its not the hubs too. But I just wanted some input from people that have used shops in the nova area! Thanks!!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

not to sure how far away from Waldorf, MD you are, but you could bring it to my shop and I can do it.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's in your best interest to replace the hub along with the bearing.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 AM

Figured as much. Anyone know a shop that can replace them?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 AM

Generally you won't have to replace the hub unless the bearing eats into it. I usually see a 7/1 ratio of how many hubs need to be replaced to how many bearings I do. But you should always plan for the worse and hope for the best. But do you know which one it is?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The knuckle has to come off the car for the bearing swap so you can save yourself a lot of money by popping the ball joints yourself and taking it to a shop to have the hub & bearing pulled.

VPS, how do you get the bearing race off the hub? The only technique I've seen is cutting it off carefully with a cutting wheel.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM

To be honest Im not even sure its the bearing. The only way I can describe the sound is kind of a oscilating/whoosh sound? Its definately coming from the rear and I can hear it while accelerating up to around 35-40. And then all through the off throtle till I stop. There are no clicks, no marble sounds etc. I even drove near a building to bounce some sounds off and I could not pin point it. I originally thought it was the wind noise from the top but even when the top is down, I still hear it. Not sure, seems like it could be the bearing, the hub, maybe my tires? My brakes? Anyway I figure to be on the safe side Ill just replace the hub and bearing. I also don't have a garage nor tools, so I can't take it off myself.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Normally a wheel bearing will make more noise in corners in one direction and less in the other direction. One of mine sounded like I was dragging a small tree branch under the car.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by robrob
The knuckle has to come off the car for the bearing swap so you can save yourself a lot of money by popping the ball joints yourself and taking it to a shop to have the hub & bearing pulled.

VPS, how do you get the bearing race off the hub? The only technique I've seen is cutting it off carefully with a cutting wheel.
That's the way I've always done it. You don't have to go all the way through it just gouge the race enough to take a chisel and split it as to not do damage to the hub. And then you take the chisel and slide/ hammer it of. Sometimes you can grab a pair of channel locks And spin it off after splitting it.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM

Hmm. It's not at serious as a tree branch. Maybe I'm just being sensitive. Could be the tires I guess but my tires look fine. I'll try tightening the axel bolts.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Repair/ Repair Shop?