Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

tuners in MD

Old 10-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuners in MD

Due to waiting forever, I've decided to find a different tuner than the place that built my motor. What tuners have you guys all been to and what has been your experience with them? I have to choose one this week. Also, it would help if they were a professional shop. Not some guy that tunes stuff that you 'know' through your friend's cousin. Please let us know about your experiences, good or bad!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:56 PM

I know several individuals that tune better than some shops do. I don't see why you NEED to have a shop do it. There are plenty of others out there who sometimes know more than a shop does. Just my $.02.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P tuning is nice, so far
Altered Atmosphere - a NO NO
Old 10-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Insert Name,Oct 19 2008, 05:56 PM
I know several individuals that tune better than some shops do. I don't see why you NEED to have a shop do it. There are plenty of others out there who sometimes know more than a shop does. Just my $.02.
I see where you're coming from, but I just need someone to be held accountable if there's a mistake made with MY car. You know, with a shop there's proof. Invoices, receipts, etc. They're in one place. What happens if someone you know blows up my motor while they're 'tuning' it? Who's accountable? That's really more what I'm worried about.

Also, looking for somewhere more local. Not trying to tow my car out of state to get it tuned.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Olegator,Oct 19 2008, 06:58 PM
Altered Atmosphere - a NO NO
So true.

Unless you want your car to end up like this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADoK5sykugM

I'd stay away.

Also, I see where you are coming from but I would be careful where you go. Most, if not all places have you sign waivers saying you will not hold the shop responsible for failure of components. I know the guy with the NSX had little recourse. Then again I think the fact that that video is there burned AA's reputation enough that no one goes there so that was punishment enough for them.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 PM

i got you. i heard about some bad things at my shop and don't want them to tune it. i'm really trying to avoid going out of state to get my car tuned.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are sighing a waiver when you're getting your cat tuned, so if something happens, it's not their fault....
That's why I don't feel so good when I get my car tuned.....
Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM

wow. so this means that shops can't even vouch for their own work? how can i trust anybody!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:01 PM

all tuners are the same wherever you go. you're going to have to take a chance when you pick a tuner because no tuner, or shop, is going to take responsibility for a blown engine. when you tune, youre basically custom writing a map that the original manufacturor never inteded the car to have. no tuner in their right mind would take responsibility for what may go wrong, because there are just so many little things that can potentially go wrong.

my advice to you is:

be there when they tune
-moniter the AFR's on the wideband.
-moniter the EGT's
-and watch the lap top to see how many percentage points the tuner takes away and adds at different rpms.

tuning is not a quick process, so if you feel like they are rushing through it, definitly say something and tell them to take their time.

it shouldnt be that hard to tune your setup, seeing how it's NA. when it's all said and done, ask the tuner to show you a graph comparing the oxygen sensors, and map sensor activities. depending on which software they're tuning, it should show a threshold for proper readings. also, ask for a copy of your before and after map readings. that way you can compare what was done and how much work they actually did. it can also help answer some questions later if you encounter some issues.

if your tuning software reads a ROM chip- be sure to tune for summer and winter. ask for two chips, so you can just swap them when the weather changes.

check out HONDA-TECH.COM under the FORCED INDUCTION forum, there is a tuner directory. all the tuners listed are pretty reputable, and have users that can vouch for their skills.

good luck to you
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM

I have been going to JEimports in Baltimore, ask for James, he can do anything and is a racer himself. They seem real good a fabricating stuff as well. He uses a dyno pack, he will be doing a Kpro and 3mm for me soon.

Quick Reply: tuners in MD