Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Tranny Issue

Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Issue

So I have tried doing some research on this, but I haven't been able to find anything useful, or that fits the same description as the problem I'm having. Hopefully, some of you guys can help.

Basically, about a couple months ago, I started my car up in the morning, but found that it was hard to put the car into gear. So I just let it warm up for a bit, and then it was fine. It happened only on occasion.

Within the last month, it has happened more frequently, where I can't put the car in gear when I first start her up. I would have to basically force the shifter to get it in gear. The thing about it is, once I start moving, the tranny is fine. It shifts fine, and I don't have anymore problems with it not going in gear the rest of the day.

This last week, it has happened pretty much everyday, so I swapped out my tranny fluid and rear diff fluid yesterday. Today I still couldn't get it into gear when I first started her up, but today it also seemed that everytime I came to a complete stop, it was hard to put back into gear. What's crazy though, is, when I'm driving, the gears row through the gates completely smooth, whether its an upshift or a downshift. It's just when I come to a complete stop at a light, or if I let it sit over a long period of time, it's hard to put into gear. I literally have to force it.

Any ideas? Maybe worn out synchros? Or even worst, an effed up tranny?

Background on the car: 2002, 74k miles, just swapped tranny fluid with Redline MTL (I was using Honda MTF before), and rear diff fluid is Mobil 1. Still on original clutch. I don't ever do any crazy dumps, but I drive pretty spiritedly. I usually only hit Vtec on the highways (on ramps, or when I'm passing someone).

Thanks!

Rody
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it only difficult to put it in first from a stop, or difficult to put it in any gear?

Have you tried going N-2-1 instead of N-1 when starting from a stop? Whenever my transmission is acting up, going N-2-1 smooths things out.

When you say it shifts well when moving, does it shift well 2-1 while moving? Or are you only using the higher gears?

Your case sounds a little more extreme than normal, but I actually think this is a pretty common issue. It happens to me, and I've read about it other places on the forum too, I think.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 AM

I would think its a Throw out bearing issue or pp.. but I'm not an expert.

With my car I have to push the clutch to the floor to go into first but the rest of the gears maybe only 2 or three inches in... but that like ur only on initial start up.. mine has not gotten to where your is.. and I wouldn't say I force it into gear either.. gl if you wanna learn how to work on the trans come to my mod day on the 10th.

GL
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Well in the morning when I first start the car up, it won't go into any gear at all, without trying to muscle it in there. It feels like it just gets "blocked". It's like I have to use a good amount of strength to get it in gear.

At a stoplight, it kind of varies. Sometimes it'll go into 1st fine, and sometimes it won't go into any gear at all, unless you force it.

But once I start moving, it seems to be completely fine. Upshifts and downshifts are pretty smooth and easy for the most part.

Im just afraid that one of these days I'm gonna be at a light and I wont be able to put it into any gear and be stuck... lol
Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ninja05,Jun 23 2010, 03:02 PM
Well in the morning when I first start the car up, it won't go into any gear at all, without trying to muscle it in there. It feels like it just gets "blocked". It's like I have to use a good amount of strength to get it in gear.

At a stoplight, it kind of varies. Sometimes it'll go into 1st fine, and sometimes it won't go into any gear at all, unless you force it.

But once I start moving, it seems to be completely fine. Upshifts and downshifts are pretty smooth and easy for the most part.

Im just afraid that one of these days I'm gonna be at a light and I wont be able to put it into any gear and be stuck... lol
How far off the floor is your clutch engagement point? Clutch fluid at the proper level?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Like Matt asked, will it go into second or reverse when you can't get it into first? Sometimes I have to go to reverse first or second and rock the car a little to get it to then go into first. I imagine this is synchro related from a hard driven 125k miles.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Hmm now that you mention it, I had a feeling about a week ago that it engages lower than it used to. The thing was, I never really paid attention to where the engagement was, until I drove my girl's GTI around for the day. Once I got back into my car, it's really low compared to hers. I probably have to push it in a little more than halfway before I start to feel any resistance.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Mine sucks at reverse. But I just throw it through the gears and it smooths out. Not helpful. But i figured id share. GL
Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=ninja05,Jun 23 2010, 03:13 PM] Hmm now that you mention it, I had a feeling about a week ago that it engages lower than it used to.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by e3opian,Jun 23 2010, 03:08 PM
Like Matt asked, will it go into second or reverse when you can't get it into first? Sometimes I have to go to reverse first or second and rock the car a little to get it to then go into first. I imagine this is synchro related from a hard driven 125k miles.
Well when I do have a problem at a stoplight, it usually won't go into 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th or reverse. Sometimes I can throw it in 3rd or 4th a lot easier than the others, and then it will go into 1st, but I still have to muscle it into gear.

But when I first start her up in the morning, it won't go into any gear at all.

Quick Reply: Tranny Issue