Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Trading S2k for Mustang v6?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me put my weird perspective here. I say weird, because it's very strange that I'm even writing these words. 20 something me would of punched the 30 something me out already for writing something like this.

Older and older I get, as I tried to deny as much as I can, I like comfortable, regular cars.

Let's face it. S2k isn't the most roomy or comfortable car to ride everyday. It has no backseat, barely any legroom, and no technology whatsoever (which is what I really like, the simplicity of a pure driving car). On the other hand, Mustang V6 has plenty of hp, truck axle drives comfortably over most bumps, and for solid axle, it's not too bad of a handling car. Also, it comes with tons of technology packages, and it's reliable since they got all the bugs out.

So, in that "weird" perspective, it's not a bad car to drive. Everyone here is like, get something faster, go harder, etc. Yeh, I think I was like that too. But I still am, but not really. I can understand why people get older and buy M5's or S8's. It makes no sense, but it does.

Let me throw this out:

1. Whoever said, "it's a chick car" tend to be that guy nobody wants to hang out at parties with.

2. Whoever said, "you want the V8" have never driven a really fast car before.

3. Whoever said, "you should wait until 2015 model comes out...". I actually agree. They have independent rear suspension, and upgraded interior on the 2015 Mustang. But the thing is, if you want to save some money, you'd buy the 2014 used V6 stang right when the 2015 comes out. Nobody wants the v6, because there is a mentality that all muscle cars should be v8, but V6 actually does very well (305hp/280 tq - similar to G37, 335i, etc). Also, it only weighs 3500 lbs, and it gets 19/29 mpg on regular (no premium here). If you ever looked at the spec, Mustang V6 is like buying a $10k cheaper G37, or 335i, or whole bunch of cars in that SPEC categories.

I also believe it's always the owner that causes more harm to the car's reliability than the car itself.

4. Don't ever buy the first year production of newly developed car. Ever.

I love my s2k, but honestly, I've looked at 14' GT500. Backseat for my dog, passenger seat for my stuff/bags, and large trunk for gf. And you know I'll tune that just enough to get 666hp. It's so easy to do with that car. That's the same price as the last gen, last year model M3 convertible. I even looked into Boss 302, Camero ZL1, and even Mustang GT. There are so many cars out there right now, the right car is the car that follows your priority in your life, and not something you get to show off.

If anything, I'd get the Camero. It handles better than Mustang, but it does lack in style, legend, and headroom.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Based on these great comments, you probably should think some more. You obviously came back (twice) to the S, so it's worth waiting to be sure. I've owned an S since 2001 and I still love, love, love the car even though I'm not driving it much now. Nothing comes close on the fun meter for me. I guess when it stops being fun (or I can't get in and out of it), it will be time for a change. You don't want to regret giving up your S. So many have and ended up getting another one. Only now, finding a good one will be much harder.

You hinted at needing a change in your life. Why don't you make a change somewhere else and see if that scratches the itch. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years ago, I bought a brand new V6 for about that same amount (with taxes, ended up at $19,700) and never once regretted getting the V6 over the V8. Oh, I test drove the V8 and loved the sound and power surge, but I didn't love the extra $10k price tag. In the DC area, the V6 gave me plenty of get up and go and more importantly I could drive it like a cheap car. I had a hoot in that car and drove the snot out of it and didn't worry one bit.

At the end of the day, I was able to sell the car for $15k making it one of the least expensive cars I have ever owned.

So as a former V6 Mustang owner, I don't agree with the "you'll wish you had a V8". I was happier with the cash in my pocket and the reduced depreciation thank you very much.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by plokivos
1. Whoever said, "it's a chick car" tend to be that guy nobody wants to hang out at parties with.
That person is a chick.

That person drives race cars and is a track instructor.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by plokivos
Let me put my weird perspective here. I say weird, because it's very strange that I'm even writing these words. 20 something me would of punched the 30 something me out already for writing something like this.

Older and older I get, as I tried to deny as much as I can, I like comfortable, regular cars.

Let's face it. S2k isn't the most roomy or comfortable car to ride everyday. It has no backseat, barely any legroom, and no technology whatsoever (which is what I really like, the simplicity of a pure driving car). On the other hand, Mustang V6 has plenty of hp, truck axle drives comfortably over most bumps, and for solid axle, it's not too bad of a handling car. Also, it comes with tons of technology packages, and it's reliable since they got all the bugs out.

So, in that "weird" perspective, it's not a bad car to drive. Everyone here is like, get something faster, go harder, etc. Yeh, I think I was like that too. But I still am, but not really. I can understand why people get older and buy M5's or S8's. It makes no sense, but it does.

Let me throw this out:

3. Whoever said, "you should wait until 2015 model comes out...". I actually agree. They have independent rear suspension, and upgraded interior on the 2015 Mustang. But the thing is, if you want to save some money, you'd buy the 2014 used V6 stang right when the 2015 comes out. Nobody wants the v6, because there is a mentality that all muscle cars should be v8, but V6 actually does very well (305hp/280 tq - similar to G37, 335i, etc). Also, it only weighs 3500 lbs, and it gets 19/29 mpg on regular (no premium here). If you ever looked at the spec, Mustang V6 is like buying a $10k cheaper G37, or 335i, or whole bunch of cars in that SPEC categories.

I also believe it's always the owner that causes more harm to the car's reliability than the car itself.

4. Don't ever buy the first year production of newly developed car. Ever.

I love my s2k, but honestly, I've looked at 14' GT500. Backseat for my dog, passenger seat for my stuff/bags, and large trunk for gf. And you know I'll tune that just enough to get 666hp. It's so easy to do with that car. That's the same price as the last gen, last year model M3 convertible. I even looked into Boss 302, Camero ZL1, and even Mustang GT. There are so many cars out there right now, the right car is the car that follows your priority in your life, and not something you get to show off.

If anything, I'd get the Camero. It handles better than Mustang, but it does lack in style, legend, and headroom.
You're right, your perspective is weird.

Originally Posted by dirtycrabcakes
Originally Posted by plokivos' timestamp='1402627072' post='23201760
That person is a chick.

I had 2 S and now I have a 2013 five point oohhh as my daily and loving it. I'd say both will work V6 or V8. Good luck
Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Insert Name
Man, if you get 12.5 for your 01' then the asking price for my 03' just went up.

Hey. I'm not sure what kind of miles you have on your car. I have 43k miles with all the maint done at dealerships to prove it. Also brand new softtop with rear glass (canvas top) with 5 year warranty on parts and labor. (Also comes with the car) So carmax gave me few hundred shy of 12k like 2 weeks ago. 2 Brand new front tires also. Thats why I think I can probably sell it private market for 12.5k. I'm not 100% sure if I can, but I'm most likely able to(??) Or I hope I can at least

I do appreciate all the comments/concerns and opinions.

I do like the "weird" opinion(s). I do agree, mustang is cheap, got more leg room and if absolutely needed, I can seat 1 or 2 small passengers in the back. It does lack in the rawness of s2k's performance but it does make up for being under 19k out the door for base model.

Decisions, decisions.~~

Thanks again guys.

-Max
Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That person is a chick.

Post of the day.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:13 PM

That person is a chick.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:54 AM

so. heres a kinda unique perspective: my car is an ap1, my coworker's is a '14 v6. we drive eachothers cars all the time (just last weekend i drove his from bmore to ac, awesome ride, very comfortable, has the speed for sure...can probably handle well). the mustang is perfect if you're settling down, maybe even pregnant. my coworkers words "the mustang doesnt feel like a sports car, but its right for me right now". he was coming off a nismo 370z. its just a softer car.

....get the v8
Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That person is a chick.

Quick Reply: Trading S2k for Mustang v6?