Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Trading S2k for Mustang v6?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading S2k for Mustang v6?

Hello guys.

I know I'm not a super active person on the forum, but I'm on here 24/7 just reading and reading.

Just like the title states..., I'm contemplating on trading my 2001 s2k for 2014 mustang 3.7 v6.
I got my flame suit on, but please try to be reasonable if you are gonna flame.

I love my S2k. This is my 3rd S2k. I had some fast-a$$ cars previously, but I somehow always ended up again with s2k. So I can't guarantee that it won't happen again, but frankly I'm slightly annoyed with lack of low end power and the fact that I got not much cargo space. Don't get me wrong, I love s2k and I knew those facts before I got them, but want some change. (I don't know, maybe I just need some change in my life

So if anyone has personal experience, I would love to hear about mustang 3.7.
I'm getting the base model with NOTHING on it for about 18.7k out the door.
I worked at Honda as a sales consultant before so I'm not worried about the purchase process as I know not to fall for some BS tricks.
I'm gonna assume that I can sell my s2k for about 12.5k private and get around 11.3k trade in.

So, please... yay or nay, pros and cons, or any informative supports/opinions/comments will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

-Max
Old 06-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I'll preface this with I really like the current V6 Mustangs, and think they're one of the best performance values on the market today, but I have a couple comments:
  1. It's a Mustang. You're always going to wish you got the V8.
  2. Even if you got the V6, the Mayhem package and Recaro seats are totally worth the money, I wouldn't buy one without them.
  3. I know I just turned your $18k car into a $35k car, but you could pick up a 2010-2011 5.0 with those things for right around $20k. Mustang values tend to fall off a cliff fairly quickly; I doubt I'd ever consider a new one.
  4. I don't know what kind of cars you've had before, but you need to sit in and test drive one. I've been in imports my whole life, and found the seating position and overall view to be really awkward.
  5. This is the last year of the current Mustang. Next year they're supposed to be lighter and have an independent rear suspension. Honestly, if you really wanted a mustang, it's kinda worth waiting for.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by duffman13
First of all, I'll preface this with I really like the current V6 Mustangs, and think they're one of the best performance values on the market today, but I have a couple comments:
  1. It's a Mustang. You're always going to wish you got the V8.
  2. Even if you got the V6, the Mayhem package and Recaro seats are totally worth the money, I wouldn't buy one without them.
  3. I know I just turned your $18k car into a $35k car, but you could pick up a 2010-2011 5.0 with those things for right around $20k. Mustang values tend to fall off a cliff fairly quickly; I doubt I'd ever consider a new one.
  4. I don't know what kind of cars you've had before, but you need to sit in and test drive one. I've been in imports my whole life, and found the seating position and overall view to be really awkward.
  5. This is the last year of the current Mustang. Next year they're supposed to be lighter and have an independent rear suspension. Honestly, if you really wanted a mustang, it's kinda worth waiting for.

I appreciate your input.

I know I'll always want the v8. that's true.

I been looking at some used ones from 2011 and 12 before the small facelift at 2013.
I'm having hard time finding it under 25k, unless it has super high miles.

As for the 2015, I'm not sure if I will be able to get similar pricing., but I may wait. It's not something I need to do right away anyways I wish I had more money!!!

-Max
Old 06-12-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by duffman13
  1. I know I just turned your $18k car into a $35k car, but you could pick up a 2010-2011 5.0 with those things for right around $20k. Mustang values tend to fall off a cliff fairly quickly; I doubt I'd ever consider a new one.
I'd have to go with this. Get a model year or two older and get the 5.0.

Nothing wrong with wanting a change. You'll be back, they always come back
Old 06-12-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mustangs are certainly good cars, but when you talk about a fuel-efficient V6 or about cargo space...you're talking about compromises that need to be made in a car that wants to be fun. The S2000 is a car that doesn't make those compromises, and as a result makes it a better yet more polarizing car. My solution to that was to get a daily driver. I'd rather have a car that's really good at being fun and a car that's really good at being useful (even if it's a Hyundai lol) than to try and ask 1 car to do both.

My 2 cents.

I just kinda wish I didn't live in an area that is consistently ranked as having the worst drivers in the nation...this makes insuring two cars a bee-otch.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:12 PM

It's a Mustang. You're always going to wish you got the V8.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 06-12-2014, 03:05 PM

Don't get the v6 to save money. It's a chicks car. And im a chick saying that. I had a v8 and never regretted the extra money I spent on her. Its a HUGE difference.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 PM

Ah I see I see.

I want v8 also, but I'm not in a position to purchase one. (It's like 9k difference in price)

I guess I'll keep saving money until I can then. I thought v6 will be enough since I know few people already been hitting 300WHP with mild bolt ons. So I thought that's gonna be enough for me to enjoy for a bit.., but it may not
If we didn't have such a harsh winter, I'll trade in my s2k and my daily(08 accord v6 Sedan) and get the car, but....damn snow!!

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

-Max
Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Man, if you get 12.5 for your 01' then the asking price for my 03' just went up.

Quick Reply: Trading S2k for Mustang v6?