Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Track + Rain + First Time = Lessons Learned the Hard Way

Old 06-24-2003, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, here's my little story.....

I went to Friday at the Track on June 20th to learn a lesson -- I need more track time to fully understand the S2000.

It rained on Friday. It was pretty wet on the track and there were a number of places where standing water was causing us to change our lines as to avoid loss of traction. I went thru my first run pretty well, learning the lines of the course and getting a feel for the car and how it handles, my instructor being very helpful in understanding (Thanks Frank!).

The guts of my story comes near the end of the 2nd heat -- coming into turn 1 from a long straightaway, apply brakes - *weight transfer* - car spins and hits inside wall. Crunch.

So, lesson to be learned -- I need more time at the track to understand the car! I will, however, make sure that the next *first* time is on Dry pavement, so some of the finer features of driving while wet are not present when trying to absorb so many other things at the track.

Thanks to all who helped - George(s), Keith, YellowStreak, everyone I might have forgotten.

Good part of the story is, called up insurance, told them about my 'Drivers Education' accident with instructor in car, and they gave me a claim number, so I should be all set, minus deductible. One headlight, panels, paint and I'm not sure what else since they just popped the hood open this morning, but it seems like everything else is ok.

So, I apologize both for not being able to lead the NoVa caravan, and for not making the Richmond meet. I'll see if I can make it down (when the car is back, most likely 3-4 weeks) for another meet.

Old 06-24-2003, 06:02 AM

Ouch, sorry 'bout the car...
Old 06-24-2003, 06:14 AM

suck dude gotta watch out for that water, dang rain dang mosquito's that hatch from the rain. dang bug bites grrrrrr
Old 06-24-2003, 06:22 AM

that's gonna cost some $$ to get fixed... too bad you got into the rear quarter panel.

make sure that you find a really good shop to do the work!!! if you need suggestions just look around this forum. there's quite a few threads about local body shops.

good luck.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,

I'm amazed you got a claim number . I want to DEFINITELY hear more about the conversation you had with your insurance company (should I encounter any future "Drivers Education" accidents as well! ). Need not post that here necessarily (as you are in the process of getting all of this claim ironed out)...but definitely figure on me jabbering with you at a later point .

- Dave
Old 06-24-2003, 09:14 AM

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your wall kiss, that sucks

Hope everything turns out cool.

Question, did your spin start when you were braking prior to the turn, or when you entered the turn. i.e., where you braking while entering the turn?

Good luck

John
Old 06-24-2003, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm amazed as well.. Please PM more info. . (who's your provider? what did you tell them?) ..
[QUOTE]Originally posted by w1ngman
[B]Dave,

I'm amazed you got a claim number .
Old 06-24-2003, 09:41 AM

I was braking before the turn when the spin happened.

I think the combination of braking and less traction with the rain caused the rear to break loose when the weight transferred up front, causing the spin.

I felt the back end begin to give out around some of the turns from 5-9 of the course, but I was unprepared for a straight-line spin, which in the future I'll be wary of.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Dave,

Sorry about your car, hopefully you will get it fixed up soon.

I think anyone with a S2000 and wants to attend FATT events or drive in a spirited fashion should seriously consider a heavier front sway bar (I have the Comptech adjustable) it was well worth the investment

This will really settle the rear of the car down; basically it takes grip from the front and adds to the rear. In the wet I could still push the car to over steer at will, but it was much easier to recover.

In the dry my car was awesome, just ask the 3 corvettes in my heat....(I think 2 were Z06's)

I also recommend the UK alignment for spirited driving and track days; I felt a lot more high-speed stability in the faster corners.

Lastly, the BSR instructors are getting leery about getting into S2000's, they are getting a bad rep at FATT.

Cheers,

George
Old 06-24-2003, 06:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WongGahming
[B]suck dude gotta watch out for that water, dang rain dang mosquito's that hatch from the rain.

Quick Reply: Track + Rain + First Time = Lessons Learned the Hard Way