Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Sports Car Touring Day - Sunday, Sept 9

Old 08-14-2001, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that don't know, a nice couple from MD created the "Sports Car Touring Day" events a few years ago to get owners of various sports cars together (Vipers, Porsches, Ferraris, Jaguars, etc etc etc), go driving, and have a good time. They usually hold 2 events in the spring and 2 during the fall (a 1-day and a 2-day each time). I know Gregg has participated in some of the events and had fun.

Here are the details of the 1 day event coming up next month:

Sports Car Touring Day presents: Belle Grove Plantation Tour
Purcellville, VA - Middletown, VA
Sept 9, 2001

Come along on an exciting drive through country back roads as every turn draws us closer to historic Belle Grove Plantation. A tour of the plantation will be given following a picnic lunch on Sunday, Sept. 9, 2001 (Rain date - Sept. 16). Cost - $18/person. You MUST RSVP by Aug. 26, 2001 to Dwight & Tara Mowery at (301)916-3328 or SportsCarTouringDay@hotmail.com

I didn't get a chance to participate in the spring, so I think I'm going to do this one. Join us too if you'd like!
Old 08-16-2001, 09:15 AM

that'll be fun if the DC/MD/VA folks can show up together.
Old 08-17-2001, 01:56 PM

I will get this added to the calendar ASAP. I am interested in going as well.
Old 08-17-2001, 04:10 PM

Remember that you must RSVP for this event.
Old 08-18-2001, 10:14 AM

So are we going to try to get together a group of stooks? If so, I will register and what not, If not Ill skip it..
Old 08-18-2001, 06:34 PM

I have attended a number of Dwight and Tara's events. The attendees are a great group of people. Perhaps the greatest thrill of these events is getting see and experience some iron that you rarely see. The drives themselves are always over spectacular roads but rarely is there the nutjob, highspeed driving that has caused so many problems of late.

I don't think we're looking to take over the event. I go 'cause I always have a good time and the people are great.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:23 AM

so did anybody RSVP yet???
Old 08-20-2001, 05:41 AM

I sent my RSVP this morning! Should be a lot of fun
Old 08-20-2001, 05:57 AM

Man, I'd love to do this but soccer season has started. Guess I'm a soccer mom for the near future. Anybody got an SUV...
Old 08-20-2001, 07:23 AM

Yes, I have already RSVP'd and have received my package. Please keep in mind that this will be a "slow" drive. When I called, they stated that the drive is done at "posted" speeds (unlike our past drives...ha, ha!). Below is an excerpt from the package:

"Sports Car Touring Day (SCTD), Inc. reminds all drivers participating in its events, that we neither promote nor condone driving above the posted speed limits and we ask that all participants refrain from any erratic or unsafe driving practices including any type of driving that could be considered "aggressive driving". We expect that all drivers will be courteous to thos drivers participating in the event, but also to drivers and pedestrians on public roadways."

Below is the information about this drive as well as an upcoming drive:

We created the Sports Car Touring Day (SCTD) four years ago as a way for sports car enthusiasts to meet new people, see a wide variety of cars, and drive together over some incredible roads. Participants have come from the local car clubs, friends, and by word of mouth. We are open to all marques of sports cars and have had the following participate so far: Allard, Aston Martin, BMW, Ferrari, Honda S2000, Jaguar, Lamborghini, MG, Miata, Morgon, NSX, Pantera, Porsche, Triumph, TVR, and Viper.

Our club is a just for fun, not-for-profit group. There is no club to join or dues to pay. Participants simply pay for their lunch on the day drives and hotel and meals on the over-nights. We have four events a year that include both a Spring and Fall day drive and overnighter. We have two great events planned for this Fall.

Our day; drive is on Sunday, Sept. 9 (Rain Date - Sunday, Sept. 16). We will gather at 9:30am in Purcellville, VA for a fantastic drive through 140 miles of the most beautiful roads in Virginia and West Virginia to our destination, Belle Grove Plantation (www.bellegrove.org) in Middletown, VA for a picnic lunch and tour of this Civil War site. The cost for lunch and tour is $18.00 per person.

Our overnighter, Mountain Run 2001, will be on Saturday, October 13 and Sunday, October 14, 2001 (rain or shine). We will meet at 9:30am in Purcellville, VA and drive approx. 140 miles before lunch at the Blackwater Brewing Company (www.blackwater-brewing.com) in Davis, WV. After lunch we drive about 30 miles to the Alpine Lake Resort in Terra Alta, WV (www.alpinelake.com). There are so many things to do at this reasonably priced resort ($65.00 per night/2 double beds) that you will have a tough time deciding. Dinner on Saturday night
and breakfast on Sunday morning will be at the Lodge's restaurant.

Space will be limited on both of these tours, so if you would like to join us please reserve your space early. Highly detailed maps and directions are sent to all persons who RSVP. We hope to see you this Fall.

Dwight and Tara Mowery
Sports Car Touring Day
301-916-3328
sportscartouringday@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: Sports Car Touring Day - Sunday, Sept 9