Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Some SOB pulled a hit and run on my S last night.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Some SOB pulled a hit and run on my S last night.

Good morning everyone,

Not really though. I woke up went down to my car in the lot, and low and behold some jerk, likely one of my neighbors, can managed to run the corner of their white bumper over the passenger-side rear corner of my bumper. This wasn't just a little love tap either, I've got white paint all over the are of my black car. I'm pissed!

So here are my two questions, assuming they didn't do any underlying damage to the car, how much will it cost to replace the bumper?

My second question is whats the best way to deal with the SOB that hit my car? I live in a small building, without to many residents, and only about five white cars. That said, I was thinking of just putting a thank you note up saying thank you, maybe including a picture of my car... and a picture of their car, just alerting everyone in the building that whoever drives that car is an a$$ hat.

I hate..... I cant think of the appropriate term here.... I just hate whoever hit my S.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:12 AM

Go look at every white car (since you said there are only 5) and inspect it for matching paint/marks. Photograph everything you can. If you feel comfortable confront the person who owns the car (if you know who it is), present them with the evidence and give them the opportunity to fess up and possibly pay the damage without getting the law involved (mention your next stop will be a call to the PD for hit and run charges). If they decline your nice offer, call the police, file a report and show them whatever evidence you have and take it from there.

As far as repairing your bumper it will be around $250 to repaint, depends on the shop you go to. If you need to replace it factor in another $2-300 depending on if you get it new, used, or aftermarket.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:15 AM

First, I would take alot of pictures. Then, Go find the white cars in your neighborhood and look for the same damage, with your paint on there. Take alot of pictures there as well, document what night this happened and where your car was parked (even how it was parked) then if you are lucky enough to find him, call the police and have them come out and investigate and knock on the perps door.

This happened to my parents truck a while back and it was an easy find being that the person left blue paint all over the truck and was always at our neighbors house, hopefully its as easy for you!

Dont do anything dumb like egg his car or instigate a fight, that will pretty much null your case, I know its frustrating but in the end its worth it. Karma is a bitch.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 AM

I dont think Id confront the person before having the police involved, that will only cause problems or make that person hurry up and roll to a body shop and get the car in before anyone else can see it.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

I second lots of pictures
Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM

pictures, cops and free new paint and bumper done deal
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 AM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by lYellowDragonl,Mar 10 2008, 10:46 AM
pictures, cops and free new paint and bumper done deal
pictures and call the cops and tell them it was a hit and run. That will screw the people who did it
Old 03-10-2008, 08:36 AM

Happened to my brother in our old apartment complex. I noticed the red paint on his silver car so I looked at every car in the lot and found a car with silver paint (my brothers) on his busted bumper. WE called the cops and when they got there the guy actually came out and admitted he did it. But I would do as everyone is saying take lots of pics, try and locate the other vehicle and call the police
Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by O-turn,Mar 10 2008, 08:17 AM
I dont think Id confront the person before having the police involved, that will only cause problems or make that person hurry up and roll to a body shop and get the car in before anyone else can see it.
Let the police do their job. You don't want to confront the other person. What if the person calls the police first, claiming you hit their car?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All points suggested are valid. Only additional comment I'd add might [sadly] be to keep in mind that if this proves to have been a local resident's fault...and depending on the character of that neighbor...you may need to keep a vigilant watch over your S2000 after having involved the police. They just might want to 'take it out' on your top or something else later .

Again...I'm not saying you (or any of us) don't deserve to defend what is ours. We most certainly do. And others should pay for their mistakes in life. Just that some folks weren't raised to take responsibility for their actions...and when they are forced to do so, they can look with disdain on the person that did make them take responsibility. Sad world we live in, but there it is...

- Dave