Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Snow at last!

Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow at last!

So we finally get some snow (with some freezing rain). I've been wondering about the rear tires...well

Slip slidin' away, down a steep hill my heart jumped as the car slid one way then straightened, slid the other way then straightened, with very little input from me.

After getting home and patting the dash to express my appreciation, I have to wonder...it's been snowing for about 2 hours now, why weren't there any salt/sand trucks along 495? Not ONE. This area is incredible.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:16 AM

I didn't even realize it was snowing (and sticking!) until an hour ago. I'm glad I have AWD, but this snow looks like the kind that will create some really slippery spots. I hope everyone with an S has snow tires, and makes it home safely!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:46 AM

This is what makes me wish my S wasn't my daily driver. Snow, ice, freezing rain...not friends of RWD sports cars. The salt and sand make me cringe at just the thought of what it's doing to my paint. I made it through last winter, but thanks in part to only living a couple miles from work. Everyone be extra safe out there and don't be afraid to take it slow!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fanz,Jan 21 2007, 02:13 PM
So we finally get some snow (with some freezing rain). I've been wondering about the rear tires...well

Slip slidin' away, down a steep hill my heart jumped as the car slid one way then straightened, slid the other way then straightened, with very little input from me.

After getting home and patting the dash to express my appreciation, I have to wonder...it's been snowing for about 2 hours now, why weren't there any salt/sand trucks along 495? Not ONE. This area is incredible.
VA thinks its better (read: cheaper) to wait until the snow stops to start plowing ...

Make sure everyone goes to the grocery store to stock up on milk, eggs, and bread too. This 1" of snow might shut down the area for days :laughing:

First time I was down here and it snowed I thought people were joking when they said "abandon your cars, its snowing" ... holy crap people around here are dumb when it snows .. my favorite is the squirt bottles that people keep in their car to get the snow off their car when stopped at a red light -- cuz taking the snow off your car before you leave is just stupid
Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by LiQUiD iCE,Jan 21 2007, 02:58 PM
VA thinks its better (read: cheaper) to wait until the snow stops to start plowing ...

Make sure everyone goes to the grocery store to stock up on milk, eggs, and bread too. This 1" of snow might shut down the area for days :laughing:

First time I was down here and it snowed I thought people were joking when they said "abandon your cars, its snowing" ... holy crap people around here are dumb when it snows .. my favorite is the squirt bottles that people keep in their car to get the snow off their car when stopped at a red light -- cuz taking the snow off your car before you leave is just stupid
I'm totally with you. Growing up north of Pittsburgh, I still can't get over how paranoid people get around here. I think the winters are very mild compared to where I grew up. The main difference (for me at least) between here and there is I never had a RWD vehicle until now. It definitely took some getting use to what NOT to do when it's wet or snowy out.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:13 AM

The roads are pretty bad right now. The freezing rain mixed in isn't helping at all.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=2slow,Jan 21 2007, 03:10 PM] I'm totally with you.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

i'm just glad i have my pathfinder working up in PA where they don't do shit to the roads until after the snow is passed as well made me have to have at least another non RWD vehicle
Old 01-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow,Jan 21 2007, 03:10 PM
I'm totally with you. Growing up north of Pittsburgh, I still can't get over how paranoid people get around here. I think the winters are very mild compared to where I grew up. The main difference (for me at least) between here and there is I never had a RWD vehicle until now. It definitely took some getting use to what NOT to do when it's wet or snowy out.
People here are not accustomed to bad weather driving because we generally don't have enough of it to learn how to deal with it properly. All you folks from the North would be a lot better off if all the folks from the South just stayed home when it gets nasty outside. There's a reason everything shuts down around here in bad weather . . . we do NOT know how to drive in it.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 PM

I admit I've been putting off replacing my rear tires...heck last weekend I was driving around with the top down! lol

Being an ex-Northerner myself (WNY and Chicago) I know how to drive in this stuff but I also know when my car is not properly prepared to handle it! There was a nice sheet of ice covering the front end when I parked inside the garage.

Quick Reply: Snow at last!