0%
an idiot. Just pull the damn thing off.
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Slave Cylinder Q

Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder Q

Hey guys, I'm gonna be disconnecting my slave cylinder to bleed it (using Billman's method), but was wondering how the end thing disconnects from the transmission thing. I've circled them for those of you who don't understand my technical jargon. Anyone know?

I'm just wondering because I'll be short on time and don't want any surprises.

Slave Cylinder Q-us1yq.jpg

Thanks,

T
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless I'm forgetting something, the piston on the slave cylinder simply pushes on the piece going into the transmission. No actual connection there.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 9k_on_occasion
Unless I'm forgetting something, the piston on the slave cylinder simply pushes on the piece going into the transmission. No actual connection there.
Yup.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 PM

That's what I thought
Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just a ball pin that rests inside a cup. Once you remove the two bolts, it'll slide right out. Don't remove the rubber coner you'll just regret it later. Dont forget to regrease the ball before you install everything back together.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the release fork. It clicks into place (inside the trans housing), allowing the fork to pivot when pressure is applied (via the slave cylinder).

For your install, there is no need to touch it
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think your trouble getting the slave back on is normal behavior. In my experience (I've taken my slave off ~4 times) it's always been a pain to bolt back on. My method is:

1: Clutch reservoir cap off
2: Before putting it back on the transmission, compress the slave piston as far in as it will go (this takes a little force, but you don't need to open the bleeder)
3: With the first bolt close at hand, let go of the push rod, and quickly try to get the slave into place.
4: Continue holding the slave firmly in one hand (so it doesn't back out) as you start threading the bolts with the other hand.
5: ...
6: Profit!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by TopGear
I think your trouble getting the slave back on is normal behavior. In my experience (I've taken my slave off ~4 times) it's always been a pain to bolt back on. My method is:

1: Clutch reservoir cap off
2: Before putting it back on the transmission, compress the slave piston as far in as it will go (this takes a little force, but you don't need to open the bleeder)
3: With the first bolt close at hand, let go of the push rod, and quickly try to get the slave into place.
4: Continue holding the slave firmly in one hand (so it doesn't back out) as you start threading the bolts with the other hand.
5: ...
6: Profit!
Basically what I did but the slave doesn't compress enough, and I used plenty of force to try and get it back in.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm, how does the AP2 clutch delay valve figure into things?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 9k_on_occasion
Hmmm, how does the AP2 clutch delay valve figure into things?
It doesn't. At first I thought it was an issue too, but I noticed today today that the slave I had replaced is an AP1 version without the delay valve.

As a side note, when I had the clutch replaced, the shop replaced my slave cylinder as well. Their reason for replacing it was that it would not freely move (or something like that), which I think is the same problem I'm having. This leads me to believe the problem is somewhere before the slave, and is what caused my original clutch to slip. The master cylinder does not leak any more than a slight teardrop of fluid that just hangs there, no fluid dropping onto the carpet. Any ideas what could cause this?

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder Q