Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Sean Taylor

Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sean Taylor

Sorry, I really have a gripe about this.

I'd like to first state that my condolences go out to Taylor's family and friends. His loss is definitely very sad and I don't in any way mean to belittle their loss.

However, I'm more than a little upset about how the media is handling this situation. I turned on Fox news yesterday morning and it was pretty much an entire show covering the story of Taylor's death.

How many soldiers have died in Iraq this month in the line of duty defending our country? Whether you agree with them being there or not, that doesn't affect the fact that those brave men and women are putting their lives on the line for our freedom whether or not we agree with the policies of those 'at the helm'. How many are dying in other countries in any number of smaller war zones that sprinkle the globe that we never hear about? How many 12 year olds are being given AK-47's and thrown into war zones in third world countries?

Should the death of a football player (and one with a checkered past at that), however tragic, ever really trump the stories of what else is going on in the world right now? Is this really a national tragedy that needs 24x7 coverage and Fox's "subject matter experts" (they actually had a doctor on yesterday talking about the femoral artery)? Should little Johnny they show on TV be shedding a tear because of an athlete who's done nothing but entertain?

Sorry for the rant all, just had to get it off my chest and see if anyone in Mid-A agrees or disagrees. I don't really expect any different from our society (and the media that is a reflection of it), but sometimes I can't help but gasp at how ridiculous we have become.

[/rant]

EDIT: Sorry guys and gals, meant to post this in HAW, but hit the wrong button. If any of the mods feel this shouldn't be in the main Mid-A thread feel free to move it.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Yea, it was a shame what happened to him. It shouldn't happen to anyone... but national tragedy? Come on..

Lesson learned:

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of it is, much of the media is not allowed to cover bad stuff about Iraq - only portions

i.e. No shots of caskets of soldiers are allowed, among other things

White House doesn't feel responsible for Sean Taylor, so that's left alone. But they certainly want to censor the Iraq War.

We're also desensitized to the war, since it's been going on for so long.

Having said all that, I agree w/all your points, Jeff.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 AM

People in general don't want to see soldiers' caskets every day either.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 AM

You raise a valid point, I'm not suggesting that we see soldier's caskets every day.

I used the example of soldiers in Iraq because I feel that each and every soldier who has been wounded or killed overseas deserves the kind of media attention and more importantly the public grief that one man seems to have garnered simply by being good at holding onto and running with a leather ball. I realize it's not feasible, but feasiblity doesn't change what's right.

Also, the reporting doesn't have to center around the Iraq war. There are somewhere in the range of 30 armed conflicts going on all over the world right now, 27 of which we almost never hear about.

I don't expect our media to change, they'll show whatever sells. It's unfortunate that our society's values are where they are. Even though I don't expect it to change, sometimes it helps to vent about it
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Yea, I hear you. I wish the local news reported more current/local event type of stuff. For example, the Redline Time Attack. None of my coworkers even realize that there is a local circuit where people can go and that not everyone with a sports car is a street racer. They all look shocked when they ask me about street racing and I can't tell them anything other than I've never done it. Why? Because that's all the news covers...

The news could be a much more positive force if they raised awareness about other things in their community. Did anyone see the video of the S2Ki member newsman in the Gallery? He did a feature on defensive driving schools for teens. It looked a whole lot like autocross to me though. That kind of stuff doesn't get picked up by the Washington, D.C. news outlets... they are all about the doom & gloom.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, Jeff. And it's a crying @#$)(ing shame that the wounded are also being shorted of their benefits and treatment left and right, while we continue to spend gobs and gobs of money on superweapon research.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Part of the problem is that you turned on FAUX News.
Part of the problem is that you turned on corporate news, period.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Nov 28 2007, 09:07 PM
Part of the problem is that you turned on FAUX News.
Part of the problem is that you turned on corporate news, period.

I think I must enjoy pain or something because every morning I step into my office and turn on Fox as background noise (which is all it really is), and every day I end up getting pissed off about something. I suppose that's my fault though
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Its got to do with fame and how interesting the new thinks the story is. Look how much discussion happened when Anna Nicole Smith died. Same sort of thing. Its unfortunately not very newsworthy to hear that another American soldier died. It happens far too often these days.

I will say that the local FOX affiliate in DC does cover the death of any soldier who lives or was born in the DC area. I've seen many obituaries done on TV for quite a few people who lived around here. So its not like they ignore it all the time, they just don't spend an entire day on it.

The news deals with sensationalism because people will watch exciting or interesting stories. More people watching = increased ratings which leads to more dollars from commercials.

I'm not saying I agree with it or that it makes sense, but its unfortunately the way the business works.

Quick Reply: Sean Taylor