Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

S2k broken into

Old 10-26-2005 | 01:59 AM

Thumbs down S2k broken into

So my 2005 Berlina S2k was parked on Fairfield street (I think it's fairfield) up in Chantilly one night and someone slashed my soft top to break into my car.

They didn't take the seats (thank god), or the oakleys, or the cellphone, or sidekick or cds but they emptied my change drawer. Bastards prolly got away with $10 or something. I was extremely lucky.

I walked out and saw the softtop and thought "oh crap my seats" (luckily the seats were still there and my stuff was thrown all around in the car)

Anyways, I paid a $500 deductible and my insurance company USAA paid the rest to total about $1600 to get my entire factory soft top replaced. Even though the $500 bill stung a little bit (considering the circumstances) I couldn't be happier with the service and quality of the replacement soft top. So... after all that, I want a car alarm so I at least know when some bastard is messing with my car.

Doing a search I found 592 pages of unrelated topics.
Doing a more specific search I found people asking about Car stereo shops and not really getting answers that would help me.

So.. what I'm looking for is a professional car alarm installtion place that does Viper or Clifford systems. I want to go all out - money is no object as long as the job is done professionally and cleanly. I pretty much want to get as sick as I can with the car alarm system.

Anyways - does anyone know of a good shop in the Northern, Va area that they would HIGHLY recommend? I live in Annandale - work in Reston and Ashburn and don't mind traveling a little bit to get the job done right. For peace of mind, my payment is on the way to Kodokan for the seat locks hehe.

Some car alarm guys are professionally certified through DEI aren't they? This is what I'm looking for. Like I said I don't mind spending the cash to *help me protect my car.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:30 AM

You can find local Viper and Clifford dealers using DEI's website:

http://www.viper.com/contact/locator.asp

Sorry I dont have any experience with any of these shops, but maybe this will help.
Old 10-26-2005 | 05:40 AM

i am not sure what mods or upgrades you might have but mabye you DONT want to get ur alarm put in near where you live. I am not saying it is common, but I have heard some stories 1st hand of shops who tip off thieves as to what you have in ur car, and conveniently what alarm u have.

just a thought.
Old 10-26-2005 | 07:15 AM

Sorry about the breakin... who did your top?
Old 10-26-2005 | 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipLowe,Oct 26 2005, 09:40 AM
i am not sure what mods or upgrades you might have but mabye you DONT want to get ur alarm put in near where you live. I am not saying it is common, but I have heard some stories 1st hand of shops who tip off thieves as to what you have in ur car, and conveniently what alarm u have.

just a thought.
i agree.... circuit city and best buys being the shadiest of the bunch....
Old 10-26-2005 | 08:11 AM

My recomendation is this: Wherever you go to get your alarm installed, do not give them your correct address, take out any info out of your car that would tell the installing shop where you live, i.e. registration. If they ask to see your license, tell them you'd rather not, and if they insist on seeing it for warranty paperwork, go somewhere else. Use a p.o. box if you can or use a buddies address.
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:06 PM
20 Year Member

It is unbelievable that there are shops that will actually inform would be thieves about your car's history. Simply unbelievable! It is sad....
Old 10-26-2005 | 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Honda 367,Oct 26 2005, 02:06 PM
It is unbelievable that there are shops that will actually inform would be thieves about your car's history. Simply unbelievable! It is sad....
I never thought about it until I read this thread

Anyone know of any reputable shops around va veach? I will be getting the best alarm I can find. Any recommendations?
Old 10-26-2005 | 06:07 PM

I had one installed through Sheehy Honda in Alexandria when I bought my car. I am not sure of all of the components, but the motion/radar is DEI.

I don't know who they had install it, but it wasn't them. I have had to adjust it once. It has the sensor if the top is down and reach inside, it alerts. Other than the one adjustment, I have never had any false alarms.

Since I live about 75 miles away in the boonies, I wasn't too concerned about any transfer of information.
Old 10-26-2005 | 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Saboten,Oct 26 2005, 09:12 PM
I never thought about it until I read this thread
I'd never heard of that either, but I guess in some twisted way it makes sense. Bad thieves!

- Jeremy (jnn4v)

Quick Reply: S2k broken into