Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

S2000 Window Tinting (Help) - Where and how much?

Old 07-02-2003, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1Seat4You
East Coast Tint company is hands down the best tint shop in Va they do some of the most amazing coustm tint jobs around and they are also 50 dollars for the 2 front windows 120 for 2 roll downs is way over priced. My friend owns that shop and is a very nice guy you can call them with any questions there number is in my sig. There shop is also in richmond he uses Lumar tint with a lifetime gaurntee.

hmmm, . . my experience with east coast tint company is that after walking in , i was ignored by the girl working for about 10 mins while she talked to her friends, and then i finally got my quote of 145 for the front 2 windows. after that, i said "its an s2000, its only got 2 windows are you sure that price is right?" and she assured me that it was 145 so i left.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:14 PM

Went to California Tint in Great Falls. Am very happy with their work. BUT:

Orignally quoted $80 but ending up having to pay $90 because I requested 35% tint as opposed to 50% tint. They would only take cash for "illegal" tint, however, I impressed upon them that 35% is legal in MD. They wouldn't budge so I was real close to leaving because I wasn't going to go for the 50% so we struck a "compromise" that left a sour taste in my mouth because I thought they were jerking me around.

Would I go there again? Probably - not because their quality isn't top notch, but because I think they blew the whole legality thing way out of proportion.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Hiroprotaganist
...I think they blew the whole legality thing way out of proportion.
Consider their quality on its own merits. I don't think its fair to criticize them about the legality issue though. I look to these shops tinting outside of the law [the law of the state in which their shop operates] as akin to a convenience store selling booze to a minor...and if caught, they could lose way too much. Cash is a means to not trace an illegal transaction. Can't fault them there. I had the same issue down here when I went 35%. Of course, my recommendation didn't bend me over one extra time because of the level of tint, so again, I can understand your dissatisfaction. Anyway, my analogy may not be perfect, but I can appreciate a shop (that is doing something that [VA law] does not accept as proper) wanting to cover that up if at all possible...and still offer the customer its service . Its a trade-off I suppose.

Anyway...forget all that! You're TINTED now man!!! Show it off!!!

Old 07-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Banned

A place called Atlantic Solar tinting on Joppa road in Baltimore qouted me $70 for just the side windows in 5%. I know its illigal but my windows are down most of the time anyway.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hiroprotaganist
[B]Went to California Tint in Great Falls.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:51 AM

Held up both the 35% and the 50% to the side windows - the 50% was WAY too light on my car especially because of the light coming in from the rear window. Keep in mind that since I have a '01, I can't tint the rear window so extra light comes into the cabin. Had I been able to tint the rear, I would have been more inclined to go with the 50%.

I understand your point regarding the legality (I'm a practioner, remember? ), however, if you were there you would have understood my sentiment. I think its kind of funny that they touted the law and then wanted me to pony up even MORE money to do the job - know what I mean?

Again, I am super happy with the work quality.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:52 AM

The pic of The Bruised Banana above is 35% on sides. You can still see inside the car slightly in this angle (steering wheel, dash, etc.)...but when you look "across" the car from the side with the windows up, the 2 side windows sort of "multiply" the tint and its pretty damn dark. Dark enough for me anyway. I did a clearing for an optometrist (who shall remain anonymous ) that provided me with a "Dr's Note" so that I could tint darker than VA allows. As that easily offers me a "get-outta-jail-free" card, I could have gone much darker. However, when the top is up, and its dark and/or "R" _ _ _ ing outside, I've found that other folks extremely dark tints can become a safety concern for the driver IMO. So I opted for 35%. And for other reasons too: 1) Spa yellow is enough Johnny-Law entertainment...didn't wanna make it even more of a target, 2) Just wanted enough tint to make it less desirable for folks to peek into my car to see what's in there when its parked.

BTW, the rear plastic window is tinted at 5% for comparison. Nearly blacks out the back of the car looking in. But I can see out marginally well. Between the "smeary" visibility that a plastic window already offers, coupled with the static tint's own diffusions, and the 5% light passing through, its pretty nearly non-visible out the back with the top up (at least as far as trying to identify if a car behind you is a cop or not ).

- Dave
Old 07-03-2003, 04:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hiroprotaganist
[B] Keep in mind that since I have a '01, I can't tint the rear window so extra light comes into the cabin.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:04 AM

I stand corrected - I thought the tinted a foldable plastic rear window was a recipe for disaster. Looks like when done properly this isn't an issue - something I will indeed look into soon!

Thanks!!