Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

S2000 Purchase

Old 07-08-2002, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Purchase

I figured this would be more appropriate in this forum since it's location specific...

---

Hello, new member here. I had a question about purchasing a new S2000 and wanted (current) opinions. I know this topic has been discussed a lot, and I've already read a lot in the forum about it. Just want to get all my ducks in a row before I commit myself to buying one.

I live in the MD/DC area and have visited a lot of the dealerships. I understand that MSRP is considered a good buy for this vehicle, but wanted to know how difficult it will be for me to possibly get a better deal. This will be my 7th car purchase (5th new car, 3rd Honda) and have always been able to schmooze a good deal on new cars by being a patient and smart buyer. I remember buying my 92 MR2 Turbo, fully loaded for $21,600 (sticker $25'ish) back when I was 21 because I was willing to drive to NJ and buy one after getting no satisfaction from Baltimore area Toyota dealers that wanted sticker price. Anyway, I'm ready to buy a S2000. I have the cash down payment, insurance is in line, financing is set and I'm not trading my current vehicle. Now all I need to do is find a dealer I can buy the car from.

Anyway, I've been to one Honda dealer who has a black S2000 coming in next week (the color I want) and I've given them a deposit (I can always back out). I agreed on sticker price because they're an MSRP dealer. No biggie, I thought, that's what people are paying for them. What I'm wondering is, if I had come in to the dealer and acted like I wasn't terribly interested (like I usually do), could I have swung a better deal. Maybe not too much on price, but maybe getting them to throw the alarm system and shift knob in for free. I just hate dealing with salespeople, they all suck hind tit and I wasn't feeling particularly aggressive that day.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:39 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

you should be able to do much better than sticker i would think. Of course this is summer.... but the car has been out for almost 3 full years..... I had a blue one lined up at $30,900 in New Hampshire about 3 months ago, but I bought a used one for $26,500 instead.

goodluck.... keep calling around. I know in some areas they still ask for a premium above sticker.. .ahahaha. jerky's

Scot
Old 07-08-2002, 12:31 PM

Hey Cletus,

In the Balt/DC area, I don't think you will do a whole lot better than sticker. There was a listing somewhere on this site of dealerships that sell at sticker. The one in Wilmington DE was willing to deal a little ($500 under MSRP), but in the end I stuck with my local dealership in Bel Air, (which also dealt with me upon learning about the Wilmington dealership).

If you look at S2000 sales from Honda's website, you will see that they have been lower each month than they were in the corresponding month from 2001. I don't know if interest is dropping, Honda reduced production, or if the "recession" is taking it's toll.

The fact that you have all your money in place and you probably know all about the car and car buying, you may do a little better than a regular joe.

Good luck. And I think you'll find that this car is worth every penny, no matter what you pay!
Old 07-08-2002, 01:28 PM

I'm only Cletus because I'm a Simpson's fan. Name's John.

Thanks for the advice. I've called around and if I want another black one, looks like I'll have to order one (read: late August or September). Ugh. Don't want to wait that long. btw - Annapolis Honda is out, they want $7.500 over sticker for their in-stock black one and were total a-holes. They had the nerve to ask me if I could afford to buy the car and were very condescending. Imagine, a long-hair guy making close to six-figures. ha ha

Well, I'll just wait until next week when my car comes in and then see what I can do. I just hate letting the dealer have $3,000 profit (plus whatever kickbacks they get) and then act all insulted and put out when I ask them if they'll throw in the alarm for free. I can get the alarm for $275 on the internet but I don't relish tearing the interior apart myself to install it. *sigh*

Thanks...

PS - Yeah, the car is definitely worth it. I had an '89 CRX when I was 18 and I'm keeping my '94 Del Sol because it's still fun to drive after 8 years.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:41 PM

What I did and would do these days is take a look at the MSRP dealer listing on this site somewhere (tried to search but searching is offline ) and start calling all of the ones you'd be willing to drive to. I'd think you should be able to get under MSRP these days somewhere close....maybe not in the DC area but within a few hours drive.
Imagine, a long-hair guy making close to six-figures.
werd! I had the same problem until I got a haircut

Good luck
Old 07-08-2002, 02:36 PM

I got my blue 02 at Rosental Honda in Tyson's Corner in late May for 400 under MSRP.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:56 AM

MSRP dealership here - Ourisman Honda/VW of Laurel, MD.

Give me a call tomorrow(Wednesday). 301.498.7400 x276. Maybe I can help. Thanks.

btw - What was the name of the salesperson you encountered at Honda of Annapolis? I assure you, you will not be jerked around if you come and see me at Ourisman.

Andy Pulsirisaroth
Old 07-09-2002, 09:23 AM

Andy,

Thanks for the info. I'll call you tomorrow and we'll talk. To be quite frank, I detest car salespeople and I'm the type of buyer that will give my business to the dealer that is the most 'human', if that makes any sense. I know the drill (been there four times already) and hate to be stereotyped as innocent, unintelligent or uninformed. Having long hair invites this but I'm used to it. Be straight with me and I'll give you my business.

As for Annapolis, it wasn't the salesman, it was the manager. Didn't get his name either, but I made one up for him, you can be sure... First, the salesman said to me (while I was sitting in the car in the showroom) "My manager has asked me to tell you to not shift the car while it's not running" and then he came back a few minutes later and said "My manager wants to know if you're sure you can afford this car on your salary". *pfffft* I up and left. btw - I was gently shifting from 1st to 2nd with the clutch in... Hell, since I can't even get a freaking test drive anywhere (six dealerships and counting), I had to at least _pretend_ I was driving it. LOL And it's not like I drooled on the seats or anything. Point: It's not critical at all that I drive one first, just frustrating to not be able to before buying.

B]Second point: Annapolis Honda SUCKS and I hope someone that works there sees this.[/B]

Well, to be honest, I have a $500 deposit on a black one (MSRP) at Brown's Honda in Glen Burnie (I don't care if they see this post) and it's supposed to come in next week - I saw the sheet they use to track delivery and this is accurate. I wasn't exactly impressed with the salesperson I dealt with either. I would expect that someone purchasing Honda's most expensive vehicle (it is, right?) to be a little more accomodating and polite to a serious buyer, especially since they're going to make a great profit on it. This is where I bought my 94 Del Sol and the finance manager actually said he remembered me (whatever). I have perfect credit and they told me they could match my credit union's finance rate of 4.75% (60 months). $15,000 is the down payment. No trade. I asked them to throw in the alarm and titanium shift knob and they acted like I was breaking their back. I know that the alarm and knob at cost can't be any more than $350 total (generous estimate) because I can get both off the internet for $375. Yeah, someone has to install the alarm and that's labor cost, but I told them I would do it. They still acted insulted and got that bitter beer face. I guess they think because I wrote them a check for $500 and cashed it that I'm locked in. ha ha

btw - I called Ourisman yesterday and spoke to a nice woman who was more than willing to let me come in and drive the yellow one she had. She did tell me that no black S2000s were available and that I would have to order one... *sigh* I do want a black one.

I guess what this comes down to is, I've gotten smokin' deals on all four of my previous new car purchases because I was patient and shopped around, even when people told me "no way you're getting a good deal on that car, it's in demand". Well, the MR2 Turbo was in demand and I got it for about $700 over invoice, but had to travel to NJ. That aside, I'm willing to give a little more on the S2000 because I realize that people want it and it's a hot item. The thing that's making me hesitate is that I see more and more people (thanks to the forum) getting better deals than MSRP and believe that I can too, even if it means waiting a little longer or possibly travelling out of state. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hard-ass or anything, I'm just patient and do my homework. I will buy this car but it just depends on when and who from.

I know, I run my mouth too much. Thanks for listening to me rant.

John
Old 07-09-2002, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with you, the Honda manager is an ass but the service department is excellent. I have taken both my hondas there. I used to be very good friends with the head mechanic who has since left and opened up his own shop. If you live in the area and need any info about either places I can help. I live in Bowie so, Naptown is pretty close.

I got a test drive from that manager after alot of nagging. I think I may have been the only one and this was back in Oct. 1999. Back then they wanted almost 10K over MSRP so I said screw you and got one from down in NC. I had to drive but I was able to pick her up in Feb and paid MSRP....
Old 07-09-2002, 01:51 PM

OK, so it looks like MSRP is what I'm going to have to deal with. *shrug* Wish I lived in Chicago, I would buy from that one guy who is giving really good deals on his incoming inventory.

I agree with you on Annapolis Honda's service department. It's very good. I know a Paul from bowling who used to work there and he's actually done some side work on my Del Sol. Good work, nice guy. Not sure if that's the person you're talking about.

Quick Reply: S2000 Purchase