Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Replacing wheel stud

Old 04-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Default Replacing wheel stud

Does anyone know of anywhere that I could go to have a rear wheel stud replaced? One was crossthreaded and broke the stud off when trying to remove it.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any local shop that does brakes will do it. It's a pretty easy task.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty sure you're going to have to replace the wheel bearing at the same time. IIRC, there's no room to back out the studs without removing the hub, which pops the bearing open. Or you could reuse the bearing, and see if it lasts afterward, but from everything I remember, replacement is recommended.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Topgear is right....The wheel bearing has to be pressed out, while being pressed out it gets ruined. Once the bearing is out it only takes a couple taps of a hammer to get broken or crossthreaded stud out and new stud back in. A shop should just charge you for replacing wheel bearing.

Any of your local shops would be able to do this. I would recommend a shop that can do the press work in-house. If they have to send it out to a machine shop or to a different shop with a press it will take much longer and they'll just take their bill and add a few bucks on to yours.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree, the hub has to be removed and the bearing will be destroyed. My Honda dealer charged $550 for a hub and bearing replacement. You may be able to get that stud's thread cleaned up with a tap-and-die, especially if only the first few threads were messed up.

Here's what's involved in doing a bearing swap: http://robrobinette.com/S2000Bearing.htm
Old 04-23-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by robrob
I agree, the hub has to be removed and the bearing will be destroyed. My Honda dealer charged $550 for a hub and bearing replacement. You may be able to get that stud's thread cleaned up with a tap-and-die, especially if only the first few threads were messed up.

Here's what's involved in doing a bearing swap: http://robrobinette.com/S2000Bearing.htm
Why did you replace the hub?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Former Moderator

Why did you replace the hub?
Two reasons. Normally when a bearing goes bad it damages the hub's bearing mating surface (you don't want to have to re-do this). Also it's a real pain to remove the bearing race from the old hub. It requires a special tool that I don't have.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob

Yeah i was hoping to avoid taking it to a Honda dealer since it will undoubtedly be very expensive. I unfortunately dont have the tools to do this myself however. Is there any chance you'd be willing to help me with it? Id definitely compensate you for time and effort.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Former Moderator

Is there any chance you'd be willing to help me with it?
It's one of those jobs where a lot of little things can go wrong requiring more parts to be ordered. I don't mind leaving my car on jacks with the knuckle on the shelf while I wait for a part to come in but it would suck for you to be stuck out here in West Virginia with your car broken waiting for parts (que the song from Deliverance). I'm also kind of shy about working on other people's cars because sometimes things go horribly wrong. Horribly wrong. Anyone seen my little finger?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a small shop on East Gude Dr that did a bearing replacement on my car last year for ~$260 in labor. I can't remember the exact amount. They were able to reuse my hub.

Not sure if they have much S2000 experience, but they did a nice job on my car. I can dig up their contact info if you want it, Dan.

For another option, George really likes this guy: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/820...t__p__19571106

Quick Reply: Replacing wheel stud