Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Reckless driving in VA

Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did take reckless driving/driving improvement class years ago. About 7-8 years ago. Do I need to take it again?
I also did hear about getting my car calibrated. Hmmm....
[/quote]

Yes you have to take it again, and it can only be taken once every 2 years unless dmv or court ordered. New rules is if your taking the class for a upcoming ticket you do not get +5 points. If you volunteer then you get +5 points...In case your wondering how I know this...well let's say I'm trying to make up for my mistakes haha. But I do know that there are classes by certain companies that bs the whole day course, give you your certificate and will count as real as any other class by other companies. My little cousin took went through a 4 hour day course instead of the full 8 hours, no test, just videos and sleep and got his certificate for his speeding ticket. But this is all up to you of course, I personally took the ASAP program course, I don't know what my cousin took. Reckless in VA is 6 points and is on your record for 11 years, versus a speeding ticket which is 4 points and stays on your record for 3 years. I hope this is helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Wow, I had an 87/65 awhile back (first ticket) and the fine was like $500 and I didn't have a lawyer.

In terms of points, those are available here:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/points_6.asp

You could potentially take a Driving Improvement Course to help lower the penalty - which may or may not work. Some counties recognize it and some don't. Here are some of those courses:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...rs/clinics.asp

I do know they have changed the laws since I got my ticket, but $2500 + lawyer seems quite excessive. Reckless Driving would make you ineligible to prepay the fine and skip court, so count on showing up.

From personal experience, provided you have a clean record. Request a written copy of your driving record from DMV and take the driving clinic before going to court and bring the certificate.
$2500 is what I paid in NOVA for a reckless. But since they repealed the civil penalities it's probably closer to 1000+. But since you got a ticket in the south, which my girlfriend did also, the fees tend to be much lower from what I've heard. My girlfriend paid $250 total but of course she got her car calibrated and dropped to a speeding, so the fine was about $80.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BearNVa
Originally Posted by xAgyex' timestamp='1334584273' post='21611664
[quote name='LagunaBlu2k' timestamp='1334571878' post='21611330']
Sucks to hear. Tired or not guy with radar stays up front. You guys should have stopped w/ us. If you hire a lawyer there's a good chance you won't have to be present. My last RD ticket it was flat fee 1100 for lawyer. Your MD license is safe though. I couldn't believe my ears when they said you got pulled over.
Ya I was stupid for saying yes to him moving up. But I swear on my mother that the cop did not use his radar gun. It was silent, not even a pipe on my radar detector.
I was doing about 75, and Mark didn't punch it. I think the cop was an ass.

Im really sorry Mark. I will throw down for this ticket.

They have radar detector detectors here in this shitty speed trap called VA... trust me I've spent several dollars on radar tickets and finally said screw it and stopped using one. I think the cop was a dick to charge you with RD even though anything over 80 is...gotta love the VA laws... dumb laws created by dumb people!
[/quote]

I totally agree. Considering a speeding ticket is 4 points in VA versus MD which is 2 points. Reckless in VA is 20+ MPH or over 80 and MD is 30+. VA traffic laws are pretty tough so far I've seen. VA is also the only state out of 50 states in which radar detectors are illegal. But this is just my opinion considering I've also made mistakes.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In va I got a 80 in a 70... State police. I didn't get reckless

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish you the best of luck through this one I can't really offer any help.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Sorry to hear about you very unlucky turn of event from your drive home. There are a lot of good advice here, three of the ones I like are listed below.

1. Lawyer up. In VA (most) traffic lawyers are worth it, because of a ridiculously high points penalty on every traffic offenses and expensive fines.
2. Speed calibration. They are worth your money to be able to reduce reckless to speeding (inflate your tires to the maximum air pressure prior or change to a bigger tires).
3. Driver Improvement class. This can a bargaining chip for your lawyer. Ask your lawyer if it's better to take prior the court date or after.
4. I would suggest dress up nicely and show up in the court with your lawyer ( Yes it's 6 points in VA).

If you want a good VA traffic lawyer let me know for I can PM you the info.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM
vbb

Wythe County is way out there in the Western part of the state. If it were anywhere reasonably close to the SoVA area (Hampton Roads), I know a good attorney that could help you out. You've got over a page worth of responses in less than 24hrs so I'm sure you've gathered plenty of helpful information by now, but shoot me a PM if you want/need more info on how this all will likely turn out.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM

I just want to thank all of you for all the tips and standing by me.
I realized the "power/love" of this s2ki community. When I was typing this thread, I had a feeling that I would get bashed for posting this up.
I did. I was preparing myself for lots of negative comments such as why did you do this and that etc.

But instead, I've collected so much helpful info and I fell in love even more with this community. Great cars and Great people
My inbox is filled with great tips and lawyer information.

I can't thank enough. Thank you S2KI, my friends
Giving them call tomorrow and hopefully I can sleep better tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by xAgyex
Originally Posted by LagunaBlu2k' timestamp='1334571878' post='21611330
Sucks to hear. Tired or not guy with radar stays up front. You guys should have stopped w/ us. If you hire a lawyer there's a good chance you won't have to be present. My last RD ticket it was flat fee 1100 for lawyer. Your MD license is safe though. I couldn't believe my ears when they said you got pulled over.
Ya I was stupid for saying yes to him moving up. But I swear on my mother that the cop did not use his radar gun. It was silent, not even a pipe on my radar detector.
I was doing about 75, and Mark didn't punch it. I think the cop was an ass.

Im really sorry Mark. I will throw down for this ticket.
There's a good chance the cop wasn't shoot radar then. I know in Prince William(VA) they use lasers. Only a jammer is saving you and even then it might be too late, lasers can be shot from pretty far. 1/2 mile+ if its uninterrupted. My last ticket was shot from a laser. The cop even wrote Lydar or Ladar on the ticket. VA sucks to drive around in especially if unfamiliar with local laws.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM

ouch! sorry to hear that bro! best of luck to get out of this!!

Quick Reply: Reckless driving in VA