Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Reckless driving in VA

Old 04-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reckless driving in VA

Hey guys I have a quick question.
Have anyone here who lives in Maryland got reckless driving speed ticket in VA in the past and knows how many points/fine information?

Long story short, My buddy and I were cruising back from WTDX and I got pulled over going 83mph on 70mph zone in VA. Not because I was driving reckless, but because everything above 80mph is considered "Reckless". My buddy and I got separated from original group because we drove slow and ended up cruising ourselves. After three long hours of driving in right lane (slow lane), he started to get tired so I decided to move in front of him and as soon as I changed to left lane, cop was there. Realistically 80 on 70 isn't "pull over speed" IMO but it happened. Cop gave me reckless driving ticket.

Anyways, I NEVER drive in VA, I have no idea what their law is like, I have clean record for past 7 years. Court is 7 hours one way.
I don't even know where to start.

I wanted to see if anyone who lives in MD and got reckless driving ticket in VA their past and share/help out what I should do.
I have feeling this is 4 pts and $2,500 fine + lawyer. This is one expensive WTDX trip. I sure did wake the dragon

For those who know me, I get yelled at for driving slow. Driving record is very important to me (my job)
and I drive responsibly. This is one of that "unlucky" day. Cop was super nice but his hand-writing wasn't.

-Mark
Old 04-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, Mark, that's terrible luck

I don't have any info, but I hope things work out ok.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by TopGear
Sorry, Mark, that's terrible luck

I don't have any info, but I hope things work out ok.
thanks bro,
I'm just hoping my history of driving record comes in play and things work out better than I'm expecting
Old 04-15-2012, 08:09 PM

Which part of VA? Some areas are better than others, and I'd also suggest calling a few lawyers in the county you got caught in to see what they expect. That's the best info, so you know what the courts are like.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 PM

From my understanding, every 10mph over the speed limit is 1 pt. EX: 50mph speed limit and you went 70mph. that's 2pts.

I live in MD and got pulled over in VA, LONG TIME AGO. Wasn't going too fast but fast enough to get pulled over. I believe it was 45mph speed limit and I was going 60mph. Went to court, etc etc. Got 1 pt and a fine (but forgot how much). Wasn't that big for me to remember, I guess. But the weird thing is... about a year later, when I check my MVA record (was in process of looking for insurance), no points were found. Could be, I maybe wrong, but since it was a different state, they accumulate the point separately by states?

Not saying this will happen to you. Im no lawyer but just sharing my VA speeding experience.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you were in southern VA. My Boss at work who's from GA got busted in Southern VA for the something similar.

Call a local attorney and get ready to pay up. The lawyer will want to flat fee his rate and be prepared for a hefty fine.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 AM

Sucks to hear. Tired or not guy with radar stays up front. You guys should have stopped w/ us. If you hire a lawyer there's a good chance you won't have to be present. My last RD ticket it was flat fee 1100 for lawyer. Your MD license is safe though. I couldn't believe my ears when they said you got pulled over.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I agree with the poster who said get the best lawyer you can find in the county where you got the ticket. My ex got a reckless on the GW Pkwy a few years ago. I believe his lawyer was about $2K, but he got the charge reduced. Your clean record will help you. Maybe there's a way the lawyer can appear for you, so you don't have to make that long drive back. Good luck!!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will make some calls for you, Mark. I'll let you know soon what I find out.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 AM

Aw Mark :-( I can imagine how unlucky this timing was, I remember you volunteering to lead the 'slow' group in last year's Shenandoah cruise - so I'm sure you had been law abiding for most of the trip back.

As a VA resident, I can say your clean history should count for something here. I had a ticket dropped a few years ago (not reckless) because my history had been spotless prior, but I had to go to court to make it happen. You may also get the option to do a class to remove a point (points?) that you'd otherwise get from this, I would recommend that even though it might be a long trip.

Lawyer up and see where it goes. I think based on your previous record and in light of a 70 MPH speed limit, maybe this won't get too ugly for you. Who knows.

Quick Reply: Reckless driving in VA