Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Rate DC Area Service Departments

Old 12-13-2001, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Herson's. Overall impression - not bad. BUT, I still have that uneasy feeling. Here's why -

Made appointment and dropped car off to service rep named Miles. He was awesome (no complaints with him, really) and happens to be an instructor up at Summit Point! I gave him my printed litany of things to be done to the car (see above). I swear, I must be a service rep's worst nightmare.

The service was done in a day, I picked the car up last night. Some interesting things he said:

1) He ran the car's VIN # and said that the anchor point/convertible top TSB and the clutch TSB were both taken care of at the factory. Since I have never had any problems with the top or the tranny, I am inclined to believe him. Perhaps 01's made after a certain time were fixed.
2) He said that the car's brake system was self-correcting and that bleeding them wasn't required, even after FATT use, and that they would return to normal (vis-a-vis air in the system), not pads or other wearable components. So guys (especially you Gregg), help me understand why bleeding brakes must be done. Is there a discrepency here?
3) Service seemed to be perfomed well - as should be expected from a compotent Honda dealer.

BUT - what made me a bit skittish about doing business with them was the fact that they charged me $90 to install my clear side marker lights. This should have taken like 5 - 10 minutes from what I understand. I am going to ask them nicely (but forcefully) to reduce that to a more realistic level.

For my own irrational reasons, I'm sticking with Coleman (don't laugh Jim!) for that extra piece of mind in the future.

HP
Old 12-13-2001, 07:40 AM
Fed

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hiroprotaganist
[B]Went to Herson's.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:30 AM

Fed - thank man, all good points. When I come back from FL (and need another oil change), I'll take the car the J. Coleman with the printed TSBs (which I downloaded fine - thank you). I know they won't give me the runaround there.

I think the best lesson is that I shouldn't be fixing stuff that isn't problematic. I think I hear the gears, but in a weird way, I actuallly like the sound. If there's a problem in the future, well, that's what the warranty is for.

No sense in tearing apart a perfectly good car.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:35 AM

Like Fed said re: the brakes--during heavy use the fluid will boil, producing air bubbles in the lines. A side effect of this is the pedal will feel mushy and it will take much harder application of the brakes to stop. This is not a self-correcting situation.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hiroprotaganist
[B]2) He said that the car's brake system was self-correcting and that bleeding them wasn't required, even after FATT use, and that they would return to normal (vis-a-vis air in the system), not pads or other wearable components. So guys (especially you Gregg), help me understand why bleeding brakes must be done.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone ever had an experience with Shockley Honda in Frederick, MD?

Old 12-13-2001, 02:23 PM

I haven't had any work done at Shockley for close to ten years but used to have them work on my CRX's. They have left a lasting positive impression on me.

Hopefully someone here has been there lately.
Old 12-14-2001, 06:25 AM

How about Heritage Honda of Westminster? I'm leaning toward going to them even though they're 30 miles away because that's where I purchased my car and I already know the tech that works on S2000's (although I only have experience with him doing the pre-delivery inspection). I got a good vibe from them but would like reinforcement

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-14-2001, 06:41 AM
Fed

I think that is where Bill (MDS2K.01 or something like that) bought his car, and has it serviced. You should PM him.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:09 AM

I'm coming up on my first oil change (3750 miles) so I think I'll give Hendrick Honda here in Woodbridge a chance. Kind of scary though since the Suzuka blue I saw on the lot had the shift knob on upside down (the etching that is).

I'll keep you all updated...

Quick Reply: Rate DC Area Service Departments