Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Possible Engine Seizure?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Engine Seizure?

all, a fun bedtime story for you:

Today on the way to work, I was on the highway going about 75mph. I began to notice that when I would accelerate, I would feel a slight rattle from what felt like the engine.

So I slowed down (55-60) and began to just feather it as much as I could. Then I saw the red Low Oil Pressure light (the oil can with the drip) come on briefly. Uh oh. The next exit was about 2 miles ahead and I knew there was a gas station there.

A mile or so later, the revs went to zero, and the battery light came on along with the low oil pressure light. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road. I (foolishly) tried starting the car, and there was a very slight turning noise but nothing happened.

There was a chap who had also pulled over to change his tire and he happened to have a quart of synthetic 10-30 mobil 1, which I also use. So he let me have it and I opened the engine.

Smoke was coming out of the engine. Uh oh. I put in the oil and closed the cap. Tried to restart the car. This time, there was no response at all. The battery light was still on.

The radio and the other electric objects were working. When I told this to my usual mechanic, he said that it may just be the alternator that's gone bad.

Any similar experiences with people here? I found one link to someone who seems to have had a similar problem here:

http://s2000.com/forums/all-other-honda-s2...ner-engine.html

but that was it. Particularly, this part sounded familiar:

nexplicably, one night, I heard a strange rattling noise that was engine speed sensitive...increased frequency w/ revs. The check engine light never came on... as far as anyone would guess this might not be a big problem. I drove the additional mile and a half home, park the car for the weekend and call a local Honda dealer for an appointment. The next time I start the car is the day I make the <5 Mile trip to the dealership. Upon start up the engine sounds fine, but again, as revs increase the sound quickens. A mile or so down the road the engine stalls at a red light. Can't get it started, and yet still no check engine light. I push the wounded car off the road and call AAA. After a couple of hours I have the car flatbed towed to the Honda dealer where it would remain to this day (2+ months later).
Just like him, I never saw a check engine light.

Would appreciate any input. Thanks very much.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The combination of the low oil pressure light, smoke coming out of the engine, and inability to turn it over does point to a siezure. As soon as the oil light came on you should have pushed in the clutch to unload the engine and pulled over and shut it down. I'd start looking for a used replacement engine. Good luck with the repair.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 AM

Agree. A bad alternator would not cause smoking (unless the belt is smoking?).
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and yer oil changes....

Good luck tarts
Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 AM

I doubt it was a lack of oil change, it was a few months/6000 miles ago... it was about time for another one, but not a catastrophic failure like this?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by PopTarts,May 8 2009, 10:00 AM
I doubt it was a lack of oil change, it was a few months/6000 miles ago... it was about time for another one, but not a catastrophic failure like this?
IIRC, you dont change your oil unless it has like 7k miles on it, I know it can take it, but still not good for the engine, and you have some miles on it.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 AM

yeah I do it around 6-7k. I suppose it's possible, I guess we'll see when/if they take it apart
Old 05-08-2009, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by PopTarts,May 8 2009, 10:07 AM
yeah I do it around 6-7k. I suppose it's possible, I guess we'll see when/if they take it apart
Well Im hoping its something small.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by PopTarts,May 8 2009, 05:54 AM
Oil Pressure light (the oil can with the drip) come on briefly. Uh oh. The next exit was about 2 miles ahead and I knew there was a gas station there.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 AM

Damn John... I feel for you... I never got a warning when mine went... and it was right after I did an oil change too

I'm sure it wasn't the oil especially if you checked it recently and it was full and not dirty...I wish I got a warning like you

Quick Reply: Possible Engine Seizure?