Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

New Rotors

Old 12-12-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rotors

Ok ... so I'm looking for new ways to upgrade my car yet not be terribly expensive. I came to the conclusion that more brake power is good due to more horsepower. Nonetheless, I've decided to find me some new rotors.

I got real frustrated with the s2ki search engine, so I decided to make a thread about it. Can someone please shed some light on what kind of rotors I should pursue for better braking.

Thanks

<3Carlo of 4stars
Old 12-12-2006, 07:26 AM

OEM rotors Carlo, bling bling rotors wont help you stop any faster

To improve braking, pick up some better pads, Carbotech Panther Plus's comes to mind.

You also should swap out to ATE Super Blue if you haven't already and perhaps pick up some SS lines to improve your pedal feel.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going to go with OEM rotors, better brake pads, and the ATE super blue fluid. Have not decided on pads yet, I don't want stock, but I don't need anything thats really hardcore. Shoot, who knows I might just go back to OEM

I need to do mine soon as I can tell the rotors are warped, slowing down slowly you can just feel it...sucks
Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Stock pads on the street are best, race pads are much worse unless they are very hot from repeated strong braking. Then they will dust like crazy and make all sorts of noises

Stoptech front brake lines and a really good bleed fluid change make a world of difference.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gfacter,Dec 12 2006, 09:14 AM
Stock pads on the street are best, race pads are much worse unless they are very hot from repeated strong braking. Then they will dust like crazy and make all sorts of noises

Stoptech front brake lines and a really good bleed fluid change make a world of difference.
One reason I don't want aftermarket pads - dust! I hate it, So I will probably go with oem all around and ATE Fluid!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Without going to a whole new braking system, OEM is what you need for street. Fresh fluid is always a plus. SS lines should give you a slightly better feel under full braking by not allowing the lines to expand. That said, they need to be inspected on a regular basis. I've read that they usually should be changed every 2 years or so.

If you elect to run an aftermarket pad for the street, keep in mind the vehicle's lighter weight and what kind of braking you'll be doing most often. These are important variables in choosing the best pad for your usage.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 AM

Good thread! I am going to be doing the same thing soon. I didn't know that stainless steel brake lines needed to be replaced every 2 years!? Definitely counts them out IMO, I don't want any more maintenance than I already have. With the Super Blue fluid do you need to change it more than stock? I will probably change mine every ~25k miles.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:40 AM

I had blank rotors (no slots, holes or anything) for a while with Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech Stainless steel lines. I really liked the setup except for the fact that I experienced brake fade on more than one occasion...the most serious one being on the dragon. They started to fade fairly quickly and were completely dead by the time I reached the bottom. Keep in mind that this was my first run down the dragon so I wasn't really testing the limits of my ability or the car, and they faded pretty bad...to the point that I couldn't get the car to stop over ~100 ft from about 20-25 mph. Ask the guy I was behind, I'm sure he remembers

Since then I switched my front rotors to slotted and dimpled rotors, however, since doing so, I haven't had the chance to seriously test this setup. I'm sure that the fade resistence with this setup is MUCH better. However, I would like to say that for normal street driving I got a change that I wouldn't want for a strictly street driven car. I felt that I lost initial bite on braking. Overall the car stops just fine, but in order to get the feeling of braking like I did before, I have to apply SLIGHTLY more pressure on the pedal.

So with this in mind, I would say that if you ONLY drive your car on the road for more or less normal driving I would say that you should stick with oem rotors. But considering that you already have mods to increase power that means you are more than a "normal" driver, in which case I would say that non-blank/oem rotors with Hawk pads and SS brake lines would be a very nice setup...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by abominablehitman,Dec 12 2006, 01:39 PM
Good thread! I am going to be doing the same thing soon. I didn't know that stainless steel brake lines needed to be replaced every 2 years!? Definitely counts them out IMO, I don't want any more maintenance than I already have. With the Super Blue fluid do you need to change it more than stock? I will probably change mine every ~25k miles.
if you get lines that are coated w/ plastic the frequency becomes less important, what you don't want is debris getting in between the metal braids and wearing out the line itself...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=CaptKirk,Dec 12 2006, 01:40 PM] I had blank rotors (no slots, holes or anything) for a while with Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech Stainless steel lines.

Quick Reply: New Rotors