Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

My ticket story (long)

Old 04-06-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I wasn't sure whether to post this or not, but just in case anyone is interested, here's my ticket story.

In December, around 9 pm, I was driving out to Poquoson to visit a friend. I was on a road that was posted 45 mph, and a big pick-up came up behind me and followed very close. I did speed up slightly, but no faster than 50 mph. Instead of going straight as I usually do, I made a left hand turn onto a similar road (two-lane, yellow stripe down the middle) so I could lose the guy that was tailgating me, who continued straight (with his lights very bright I might add).

I drove along at around 45 mph on this country road, and when I started to see some houses I slowed down to about 40 mph. That's when I saw the dreaded blue flashing lights behind me. I pulled over immediately. The cop came up, asked me for my license and registration, and immediately walked to the front of my car. After shining his flashlight on the front of my car and seeing no license plate, he asked me where it was. I told him that it was in my trunk. He then told me to stay there, and he went back to his car. Then he brought me two tickets, one for going 50 mph in a 35 mph, and one for no front plate. He never asked me what I thought the speed limit was, or how fast I was going, none of the usual questions.

My original court date was Jan. 22, but I had to postpone that one due to work. The next date was set at Feb. 26, but a few days before that the cops postponed that date and set a new one on March 26.

So, I decided to fight this ticket. In the time between the ticket and the court date, I went back in the daylight to check this road out. There was no speed limit sign posted at all for the first 1/4 mile or so, and only after looking very carefully did I find one that said 35 mph but it was hidden behind a huge "Welcome to York County" sign. This sign is not visible until you are right up on it, and would be very hard to see at night.

I took a lot of photos of the area, every 50 feet or so down the road to show that there were no speed limit signs in the first 1/4 mile, and the only speed limit sign was obscured behind another sign. I also got a copy of my driving record as far back as it went (11 years), because it had actually been since 1989 since I had gotten a ticket.

Armed with a map of the area with the locations of my photos indicated on the map, and with my driving record, I went to court for the first time ever. Just for the record, I am 45 years old and I dresssed nice for my court case. I was scheduled to be there at 9am, and I was finished by 9:20 am.

In that time, he tried 8 cases before me. After hearing the judge say GUILTY 8 times, and not asking any questions of the defendants, I decided to plead Guilty with an Explaination. I was not going to dispute the fact that I was going 50, I wanted to show that there were no clearly indicated signs.

The cop had his say and even admitted he shot me with his radar in the section with no speed limit sign, (and lied some too I might add), and then I pulled out my maps and carefully labeled photos of the area. I explained about the pick-up that was driving very close to me, how I turned onto an unfamiliar road at night to escape the tailgater and how I slowed immediately upon seeing houses. The judge then took all of 2 seconds to pronounce me guilty. He asked no questions of me or the cop, and only took a quick glance at my photos and map. I also tried to show him my driving record and tell him that I hadn't had a ticket for over 14 years, but he said that made no difference, he didn't need to see it. I was mainly trying to get probation or driving school to have the ticket dropped.

I should have known I was in trouble when the guy in front of me got a ticket for Improper Equipment for having a crack in his windshield, and even after he showed a receipt of how he had it fixed a few days after the ticket, they still found him guilty and he had to pay the fines and court costs.

So, count me as one more citizen who now has a distrust and dislike of our legal system. Well, there it is..... my advice is to stay away from Poquoson and York County in Virginia.....
Old 04-06-2003, 11:13 AM

That sucks, Dan. I feel for ya - guess you just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time . Can you appeal the verdict?
Old 04-06-2003, 03:10 PM

I thought about appealing, but I finally threw in the towel... and my insurance is due this month too! I probably will take that online driving school to get some safe points built back up. The ticket was 4 points, but I had 4 safe points saved up (the max).... so I am at 0 right now,
Old 04-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very unfortunate. Sorry to hear about this Dan, but I'm glad you shared the story. It certainly feels like we are "fighting" an uphill battle when it comes to the police. I just try to pay the damn ticket and be done with it. Hate it, but I have never seen a judge give any consideration in a traffic case.

Did you give the cop a story on the front plate, broken bracket, waiting on a new one line?

What an ASS! Bet they felt better thinking they kept the public safe.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:32 PM

Thanks Mikey and Raul....

Oh yeah!! I forgot the best part of the story! After being such a hard ass about the speeding ticket, he dropped the front plate ticket! He didn't ask why I had it off, or did I have it back on, he just dropped that one. And the funny thing I really was guilty of that one with no excuse.

Another sort of funny thing - the judge was trying people so fast that there was a line at the payment window. He was finding them guilty faster than everyone could write checks!
Old 04-06-2003, 07:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luft46
[B]...there was a line at the payment window. He was finding them guilty faster than everyone could write checks!
Old 04-07-2003, 04:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luft46
[B]Another sort of funny thing - the judge was trying people so fast that there was a line at the payment window. He was finding them guilty faster than everyone could write checks!
Old 04-07-2003, 04:34 AM

I used to live near Poquoson years ago. Actually Hampton, but all of my friends went to Tabb high. The cops down there are really jerks. They used to hassle us for anything they could. The judges there and the cops are all in it together, you did not stand a chance without a lawyer. Appeal it and get a lawyer, if it's not too late. I used to wonder why the truckers on CB radio called Virginia the Communist state. But after stories like this, it's becoming more clear. lol
Old 04-07-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

A rational and unbiased elected official would have to give some merit to the fact that you obviously spent a great deal of time organising your defense. This is not common. But as someone said, perhaps he had a tee time. That blows.

I wouldn't want to get caught speeding in Hanover County, either. Too late.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan, believe me, I share your pain. I believe Ice Cube of NWA said it best in a little song aptly named "F*ck Da Police" which was followed by a little number from Ice-T (no relation) titled "Cop Killa". Since my ticket in Richmond, both of these have been on heavy rotation in my CD player. I'll burn you a copy....ooops, I mean you should buy a copy (never know when Big Brother is listening) and sing along. Its very theraputic.

Quick Reply: My ticket story (long)