Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

My thoughts from Summit Point

Old 10-27-2001, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What can I say, the more events I attend, the deeper I explore this car's limit and ability.

And, I finally spun! Coming in to turn 1 a little hot, braked a little late, aimed for the apex and the rear-end gave up in a snap, and to make it more "fun" - I lift off the throttle and end up facing the straight away sitting right next to the apex. but Hey! at least I made the apex, just need to work on my direction

I am glad I got myself a great instructor, this guy is pretty straight forward, asking me to do the things he'd want me to be able to do at the end of the day. This is all I heard from my instructor all day on Friday.

"keep on going keep on going"
"ok NOW TURN"
"more gas more gas ... more more more ..."
"Hold the line"
"Clip right here"
"MORE GAS"

and ....

"a little early"
"too early"
"OK that was terrible"
"what the hell was that?!"
"you did this before, what happened back there?"
"dont pit, try again" (as I asked him if he can demonstrate)"

Things I learned ...

S02 really, really, sticks. saw some bubbles from the surface. I think it comes from my attempts trying to correct the line and got it heat up a bit more than usual. (my first time at Summit Point)

VTEC surge is powerful. I was tempted to try a lower gear thru turn 1 to keep the powerband within the sweet spot, and my lesson was a cloud of smoke. I need to work on feathering the gas pedal in VTEC. Doing so in 3rd gear at turns 5 and 6, and into 7 was not as scary.

Torque is .... *sigh ..... maybe the M5 and the Vipers are just too powerful ..... yeah, I think thats it - no biggie.

Learning about this car made me a much safer driver, and able to enjoy more what this little rocket has to offer, and surely, there is definitely a lot more waiting for me to discover. I started the day by the Viper 3 cars behind me roar pass by at god-knows-how-fast and ending the day able to make 3 passes, and good words from my instructor.

I know me and my S2000 can be better, Shane (dragem) laped me twice (Spoon sounds nice), Gregg (with some dust) and resonS2000 (oil free this time) both look so much faster than group 1 from the video Perry took.

It was not racing. It was an event to learn about myself and correct the bad habits, my car and have fun.

BTW, F355 sounds really nice from standing on the overpass right out of pit lane. sent shivers up my spine ....
Old 10-27-2001, 01:54 PM

Mike-

Glad to hear you had a great time. Practice makes perfect and that's why I'm surprised you didn't make it out for your fourth session. You were definitely getting fast thru turn 10 (where I was watching) throughout the day. There is no need to embarrassed by spinning. Everybody does it (I'm raising my hand meekly right now) and I'm sure Miriam mentioned that she has spun at everycorner on the track.

Hopefully this is not a one-time thing you all can make it out again.

For all here who don't know what mstw was speaking of, it was "Friday at the Track" at Summit Point Raceway, not too far from Washington, DC.

http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM

Mike asked me in the morning which was more difficult, the route we took on Rick's fall colors drive or the Point. II have no qualms about saying that the 10-turn circuit, which I have run numerous times, is and continues to be far-and-away more difficult to master (and I'm not even close yet).

I urge you all to sign up and come out once the spring schedule is announced.
Old 10-27-2001, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Gregg
There is no need to embarrassed by spinning. Everybody does it (I'm raising my hand meekly right now) and I'm sure Miriam mentioned that she has spun at everycorner on the track.
Mike: I second Gregg. It takes practice and spins will happen. The Jefferson Circuit got me and was in the grass in no time.

But I tell you I feel a lot safer pushing my car on the track any day. On my way to work just now (yes I have to make up time for goofing off Friday) I was more concerned out on 495 than on the track.

I am like, man why do cars pass me like that! Do they think I am going to race here, with all the mini vans and trucks! People are just nuts. I challenge those highway nuts any day at the track, see how daring they really are ...
Old 10-27-2001, 05:59 PM

I really need to attend one of these........!
Old 10-27-2001, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Gregg
I urge you all to sign up and come out once the spring schedule is announced.
I dream of a day when the whole session (25 cars) is all S2000's.... C'mon guys let's do it.

For $175 you get a full day of excitement and learning. It is a bargain of a mod.
Old 10-27-2001, 08:24 PM

Mike it sounds like you are learning more and more, and I think having an open mind is the only way. Sometimes the things that your instructor(s) say may not make any sense to you, but at least try it. The best thing I picked up on Friday was "shuffle stearing". I can't wait until the 3rd and 4th I'll be back at Summit Point to learn some more........ hehe......so addictive!

oh yeah.....thanks for the compliment on the N1(Spoon)

Gregg got any honey? haha
Old 10-27-2001, 08:51 PM

Old 11-24-2001, 02:30 PM

So I assume that our S2k's qualify in stock form for convertables??

Roll bars I mean???

Thanks ...definitely gotta do this...
Old 11-24-2001, 02:55 PM

S2000 is a great car. You would be surprised how well this car is built for the track. Some are going to be there on the 30th, which would probably be the last one of the year for the most of us. Depending on the weather of course .... 16th was a good day for top down driving on or off the track
Old 11-27-2001, 09:18 AM

Sounds FUN !!!

Do you need to purchase your own helmet or can you rent one from the track? Just show and pay at the gate or do you have to register?

Quick Reply: My thoughts from Summit Point