Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Mont. Co. - pay for bent rims?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Mont. Co. - pay for bent rims?

Ok, so there was a REALLY nasty pothole on the ramp from the split to Old Georgetown a few weeks ago that has since been patched. Unfortunately, it claimed both right wheels on the Subaru - they're bent enough to give me some unhappy vibration at highway speeds.

I had the car aligned and wheels balanced today, at which point the shop confirmed the wheels being bent.

First off - where to get bent wheels unbent? how much should I expect to pay?

Secondly - has anyone ever pursued the county (or state, depending on who maintains the road) for help in paying for damages done to a car from poor road maintenance? I mean, if it were DC, I'd expect it and be watching for it. This was an otherwise smooth ramp and I didn't see the hole until the last minute - I didn't even react because it didn't look like much.

I'm not one to blame someone else for my mess ups, but DAMN... brand new set of wheels and one VERY deep, VERY bad pothole... It wasn't necessarily a matter of neglect on their part, I know - not like leaving drain covers off on the side of GW Pkwy (my dad blew two tires on his Supra that way), but I know another person who lost two hubcaps on that same pothole... ($10 loss there)
Old 07-26-2006, 03:13 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,409 Posts

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Jul 25 2006, 09:34 PM
Ok, so there was a REALLY nasty pothole on the ramp from the split to Old Georgetown a few weeks ago that has since been patched. Unfortunately, it claimed both right wheels on the Subaru - they're bent enough to give me some unhappy vibration at highway speeds.

I had the car aligned and wheels balanced today, at which point the shop confirmed the wheels being bent.

Secondly - has anyone ever pursued the county (or state, depending on who maintains the road) for help in paying for damages done to a car from poor road maintenance? I mean, if it were DC, I'd expect it and be watching for it. This was an otherwise smooth ramp and I didn't see the hole until the last minute - I didn't even react because it didn't look like much.

I'm not one to blame someone else for my mess ups, but DAMN... brand new set of wheels and one VERY deep, VERY bad pothole... It wasn't necessarily a matter of neglect on their part, I know - not like leaving drain covers off on the side of GW Pkwy (my dad blew two tires on his Supra that way), but I know another person who lost two hubcaps on that same pothole... ($10 loss there)
I cannot comment on Monty's method's here, but in Arlington, if my memory serves me, the pothole has to have been there for a while, caused a certian number of indicents, and have been neglected for a while.

I never actually persued it myself, but I did do some research on a particular offender near my old place in Pentagon City. The hole had not been there long enough for me to take any action so I gave up.

I am sure you can find information on this at the Maryland DOT website.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Where I grew up in PA the rule was that the pot hole had to have been reported prior to your incedent.

My buddy ran over some road debris in pittsburgh and it tore a hole through his oil pan... somehow got the county to pay for that. So theres hope, just not sure if its worth the 150 or so bucks to fix your rims.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Jul 26 2006, 12:34 AM

Ye old Tire Shope

or

Radial Tire

Expect to pay around ~$85 per wheel.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Ye olde Wheel Shop is but the wait is long. Yes my old next door neighbor had Montg. Co. pay for two new wheels after a problem on Shady Grove Rd. (1/2 mile from the public works offices/depot )