Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Mechanical over-rev

Old 09-03-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical over-rev

Hello all,

I posted this in the under the hood forum as well.

I recently over-reved my engine when I missed the 3rd to 4th shift. (money shift?) I went into second gear briefly (not sure how many seconds) at 71 MPH and my tires locked up (briefly) I shifted from 3rd to 2nd at about 8000 RPMs. I am certain about the speed and RPMs.

The engine feels and pulls as strong as before and I don't have any unfamiliar noises at idle like ticking.

My question is what is the maximum speed that 2nd can handle? Or better yet what would the engine RPMs be if you went into 2nd gear at 71 MPH.

I am going to pull my valve cover tomorrow to check my retainers and keepers but is the there anything else I should do? Should I take it to the dealer and have them inspect the valvetrain and clearance? Also, does anyone in the Metro DC area know of a good S2000 mechanic?

Thanks for anyone who has any advice.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:28 PM

I've pulled the 3rd-miss 4th-2nd over-rev thing many times. Nothing happened everytime. I've stopped checking after awhile. Your car won't allow you to hurt the car (unless you run it into a tree or something). Don't worry about valves bending or anything. Your car is fine.

Tuner
Old 09-04-2005, 04:23 AM

[QUOTE=HondaS2000Tuner,Sep 3 2005, 11:28 PM] I've pulled the 3rd-miss 4th-2nd over-rev thing many times.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Yeah , um the car cant protect you from a mech over rev no matter what.

Consider shifting with some finesse, often only two fingers are all that is required, not some sort of deathgrip. Also I can understand sometimes having to or wanting to shift at 8-9k rpm but really this isnt necesarry all the time is it? I drive fairly hard and even recently have been doing some autocross training in my car and ive never even come close to over revving.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I think 71 in 2nd is close to 10K RPM. Which I think is the hard limit of the engine? Where valves contact the piston.

A compression test would be the first step, maybe a leakdown test next.

A bent valve would be noticeable. CEL's and poor idling.

Remind me not to have HondaS2000Tuner tune my car...

Gearing tool
Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by gfacter,Sep 4 2005, 11:25 PM
I think 71 in 2nd is close to 10K RPM. Which I think is the hard limit of the engine? Where valves contact the piston.

A compression test would be the first step, maybe a leakdown test next.

A bent valve would be noticeable. CEL's and poor idling.

Remind me not to have HondaS2000Tuner tune my car...

Gearing tool
haha very funny gfacter I can already tell your soooo cool

Anyway the rev-limiter always kept the motor safe for me. I will have to admit that it was low speed and mistake was corrected immidiately everytime BUT to do that kind of engine damage you'd have to miss-shift a lot of times (and I mean A LOT). And stop crying and being so anal people, our motors are tougher than it seems. Most you'll have to do maybe is a valve adjustment (Takes minimum tools and 30mins of your time).

P.S. My mistakes were during the first two weeks of my initial purchase of the car. I was still trying to get used to the tranny.

Tuner
Old 09-13-2005, 11:50 AM

My car is at the shop now getting the valves adjusted.

Time to call them for an update.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HondaS2000Tuner,Sep 13 2005, 02:36 PM
haha very funny gfacter I can already tell your soooo cool

Anyway the rev-limiter always kept the motor safe for me. I will have to admit that it was low speed and mistake was corrected immidiately everytime BUT to do that kind of engine damage you'd have to miss-shift a lot of times (and I mean A LOT). And stop crying and being so anal people, our motors are tougher than it seems. Most you'll have to do maybe is a valve adjustment (Takes minimum tools and 30mins of your time).

P.S. My mistakes were during the first two weeks of my initial purchase of the car. I was still trying to get used to the tranny.

Tuner
Gfacter is correct, your "advice" is wrong. If you do a bunch of 3rd-miss4th-get 2nd gear switches you are playing russian Roulette with your engine. The rev limiter will not stop a mechanical over rev situation (3rd to 2nd). If you go over around 10k, you are screwed. At the very least you will end up cracking the valve retainers, if it is any worse you end up bending valves when they make contact with your pistons.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE=TubeDriver,Sep 13 2005, 04:32 PM] Gfacter is correct, your "advice" is wrong.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

71 mph is just over 10,000 rpm in second gear for MY'05. You might be alright for now as this valve train is capable of warding off valve float up to about 10,500 rpm. However, this is to not say that the retainers couldn't have been stressed to the point where they may have a higher propensity to crack some months down the road. Billman250 is an expert on cracked retainers. Another thing to consider is that the engine's bottom end, cylinder liners and rings may not have liked 10,000 rpm on the AP2 engine. Since this is very hard to ascertain, you may as well just continue driving it till symptoms arise. If you are truly worried and you don't mind spending the bucks, have the compression checked and/or have the retainers looked at. These are not complicated jobs.

I've pulled the 3rd-miss 4th-2nd over-rev thing many times. Nothing happened everytime. I've stopped checking after awhile. Your car won't allow you to hurt the car (unless you run it into a tree or something). Don't worry about valves bending or anything. Your car is fine.
Anyway the rev-limiter always kept the motor safe for me
This is pretty careless advice to be giving to other people since by the text of your post, you obviously do not understand what the rev limiter can and cannot do. It will NEVER protect you against a MECHANICAL OVER-REV. Do you know what an mechanical over-rev is? Nevermind, clearly by the 2 quotes above, you DO NOT!

Quick Reply: Mechanical over-rev