Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

May 15th gas out?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyCracker82,May 8 2007, 11:48 AM
if you're worried about gas prices, i have the perfect car for you.... a prius 60mpg around town if you hate the space ship look, get a camry hybrid and you'll have 40mpg around town

i have both in stock let me know
My CRX gets close to 35 around town and over 40 on the highway -- and it's almost 20 years old with none of that fancy-schmancy hybrid stuff.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LiQUiD iCE,May 8 2007, 02:51 PM
But generally speaking, in Europe (and in some places in Asia, like Japan) - There is a good alternative to driving -- namely public transportation.
And in Europe, they have extremely high gas taxes that help to pay for that public transportation infrastructure. They're also big on trains. And overall tend to have smaller distances to span. We're letting our big rail deteriorate and not funding public transport. They also have the advantage of pedestrian and public-transport friendly city design, whereas we have to have huge houses on huge plots of land miles from the nearest neighbor, business or work opportunity.

There are a lot of differences between europe and us... But nothing we couldn't overcome if we just had the balls to do it. We had the balls to go to the moon. We had the balls to fight a world war (2) and make sacrifices - on the front lines and at home... But we apparently can't find the balls to increase MPG, decrease resource consumption or sacrifice at home for the effort at the front.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,May 8 2007, 06:37 PM
My CRX gets close to 35 around town and over 40 on the highway -- and it's almost 20 years old with none of that fancy-schmancy hybrid stuff.
Diesel hybrid... That's the next big tech.

Or you can get a Smart and get 70mpg... Now howsabout a hybrid Smart?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2009 s2000 hybrid FTW
Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flux Capacitor.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by animeS2K,May 8 2007, 06:30 PM

Or you can get a Smart and get 70mpg... Now howsabout a hybrid Smart?
Nevermind that the Smart has zero trunk space and a price tag almost identical to the s2k
Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,May 8 2007, 07:41 AM
Go to Europe or Asia, and you'll find out gas prices here are low compared to over there.
We have more bombs.

I say we should pave the middle east and send the trucks
Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 PM

don't get me started on how much gas those airplanes use
Old 05-12-2007, 03:00 AM

it doesnt matter if you dont fill up on the 15th or not. basic economics will let you figure out that it does not work. like its been said..you WILL have to fill up sooner or later unless you plan on actually using a biomechanical source (such as your own body) which really in turn makes everyone healthier, better looking, and eating less, meaning then the food companies and farmers lose out instead of the gas companies. but none the less back on topic. if everyone were to not get gas on the 15th , that would create a surplus on the 15th but which would then shoot out the roof in demand the previous and following days. Demand goes up and guess what....so does the price. solves nothing..just makes people feel a little better about themselves *rolls eyes* the world is run by business and money..if you want to be green peace and screw the tobacco and gas companies..do it in your own backyard the world will just move on without you lol

:end rant:
Old 05-12-2007, 04:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by animeS2K,May 8 2007, 06:28 PM
And in Europe, they have extremely high gas taxes that help to pay for that public transportation infrastructure. They're also big on trains. And overall tend to have smaller distances to span. We're letting our big rail deteriorate and not funding public transport. They also have the advantage of pedestrian and public-transport friendly city design, whereas we have to have huge houses on huge plots of land miles from the nearest neighbor, business or work opportunity.

There are a lot of differences between europe and us... But nothing we couldn't overcome if we just had the balls to do it. We had the balls to go to the moon. We had the balls to fight a world war (2) and make sacrifices - on the front lines and at home... But we apparently can't find the balls to increase MPG, decrease resource consumption or sacrifice at home for the effort at the front.
Yep

I'm the biggest hypocrite of all. I'm a member of various environmental organizations, but I could care less about MPG for myself. I'll say all day that the government could change a lot of what is going on around the ice caps with some simple MPG legislation to hit the car manufacturers, but I'll still drive something that gets under 20 MPG. By the way, most European countries require higher MPG standards in cars being sold within their borders. It is estimated that if legislation is passed demanding a 45 MPG standard, America would not have to import oil from OPEC.

You're right Chris. We just have to grow some balls on this issue. I say that I'm the biggest hypocrite, but I'm only as good as my options. I love little sports cars and truly offroad capable trucks - neither are offered with decent gas mileage (above 40 MPG). If they were, I'd be all over them.

Unfortunately, I think it will be too late before everyone takes what is happening at the ice caps seriously. Most people don't realize that it isn't an issue of the weather getting warmer around the world, it is a matter of the weather getting warmer at the ice caps. As those caps melt, so many things change. By the time we feel it in our temperate climate (aside from larger storms and flooding) it will probably be way too late.

Okay....</soapbox>

Quick Reply: May 15th gas out?