Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Looking for an exhaust shop to get UK exhaust mod done in DC/Baltimore area

Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Dave if you're ready I'll come by with my exhaust and two pipes! (you did my alignment a while ago)
Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yeaitsahonda
I doubt there are legal issues. You're not removing any emission component. More than likely it's just not something easily described over the phone. My dad is a welder but he refuses to do exhaust work. Mainly because too many people bring him exhaust with rust holes all the way through it and expect him to magically make metal reappear. When he asked me what I wanted for Christmas I told him a welding helmet and lessons. I have a spare AP2 exhaust off of a buddy's car that I'll try this on. If it goes well I'll shoot you a PM. If I end up destroying that exhaust I'll pretend this post doesn't exist
That sounds good.
Even if it doesn't go all that well, let me know.
You might have a lot of potential customers.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

My dad is a welder but he refuses to do exhaust work. Mainly because too many people bring him exhaust with rust holes all the way through it and expect him to magically make metal reappear.
I can only imagine.. "What do you mean there's rust, I didn't see any rust on the outside."
Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 AM

My dad is a welder but he refuses to do exhaust work.
Would he do it if the owner of the exhaust isn't delusional and has good understanding of chemistry and physics?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 PM

I can attest to how hard it is to explain the UK exhaust mod to welders and exhaust shops in the DC area. I assume most of you have the post on my experience (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...d-oem-exhaust/), but if not, I recommend a welder (Damon ~ damhow@gmail.com) in Woodbridge. IIRC, Damon charged about $125 which was the cheapest quote I got. Overall, it cost me about $225, because I also bought a spare AP2 exhaust for $100 so that I could keep my car all OEM original. I agree though that any welder who perfects this mod probably could make some money, based on perceived demand for the mod.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by ndfan
I can attest to how hard it is to explain the UK exhaust mod to welders and exhaust shops in the DC area. I assume most of you have the post on my experience (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...d-oem-exhaust/), but if not, I recommend a welder (Damon ~ damhow@gmail.com) in Woodbridge. IIRC, Damon charged about $125 which was the cheapest quote I got. Overall, it cost me about $225, because I bought a spare AP2 exhaust so that I could keep my call all OEM original. I agree though that any welder who perfects this mod probably could make some money, based on perceived demand for the mod.
Thank you for your reply. Kinda of far but it would definitely be worth it.
Did the quoted price include taking off/installing the exhaust? Or did you have to bring it in taken off?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by kawiniss
Originally Posted by ndfan' timestamp='1418864080' post='23440628
I can attest to how hard it is to explain the UK exhaust mod to welders and exhaust shops in the DC area. I assume most of you have the post on my experience (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...d-oem-exhaust/), but if not, I recommend a welder (Damon ~ damhow@gmail.com) in Woodbridge. IIRC, Damon charged about $125 which was the cheapest quote I got. Overall, it cost me about $225, because I bought a spare AP2 exhaust so that I could keep my call all OEM original. I agree though that any welder who perfects this mod probably could make some money, based on perceived demand for the mod.
Did the quoted price include taking off/installing the exhaust? Or did you have to bring it in taken off?
Whether or not Damon would take it off the car was never a discussion, since the spare exhaust I had him modify was never on my car beforehand. I am not sure of your capabilities and tools, but removing/installing the exhaust is pretty straightforward. The most difficult thing for me was getting the exhaust to fit in my wife's Honda Fit!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:09 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

[The most difficult thing for me was getting the exhaust to fit in my wife's Honda Fit!
I would like to see pictures of this!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Does the exhaust need to be removed from the car to do the mod? It seems like if you had a lift and lowered the exhaust down a foot or so you might be able to do it on the car..? Removing an exhaust and carting it somewhere to have this done sounds like a helluva lot of work to me..
Old 12-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by kawiniss' timestamp='1418869260' post='23440684
[quote name='ndfan' timestamp='1418864080' post='23440628']
Whether or not Damon would take it off the car was never a discussion, since the spare exhaust I had him modify was never on my car beforehand. I am not sure of your capabilities and tools, but removing/installing the exhaust is pretty straightforward. The most difficult thing for me was getting the exhaust to fit in my wife's Honda Fit!
[/quote]

Well taking the exhaust off won't really be a problem.. It's just carrying the exhaust down to the shop. You know how ap1 stock exhaust is just one piece from cat, and all my buddies/my wife drive small cars

Quick Reply: Looking for an exhaust shop to get UK exhaust mod done in DC/Baltimore area