Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Local Headlights Cleared

Old 01-24-2002, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and I did my corners a few weeks ago (5-6?) and so far they've held up just fine. No leaks, no cracks, no fog, no blown bulbs. I asked him for help since he's had some past experience doing a more complicated mod to a set of BMW headlights.

Anyway, as a poor struggling law student, he's looking for extra money and he's willing to take on more headlights. All anyone interested would have to do is take the headlights off the car for him and he'll clear them for $200. Removing the bumper and disconnecting the lights is by far the easiest part of the process. It took about me 25 min the first time and about 15 mins to put it all back on.

He'd like to get as many interested people together as possible so he can take one day to do everyone's at once. If you're nearby, I'm sure he wouldn't mind picking the lights up either. For discussion's sake, let's say he were to do this next Saturday. He would pick them up Friday night - Saturday morning, spend the day on them, and then return them to you either by delivery or pick-up that evening. Original pick-up/re-delivery would obviously hinge on location.

If you're interested, please post.

As a caveat, we were liberal with the application of silicone and therefore the backs of the headlights won't be as pretty as straight from the factory. However once the lights are in the car, the fact that they've been opened up and resealed is completely indiscernible.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:19 AM

I want to see how your headlights turned out. I work in the District and live in Mont. County and since I know there are number of folks interested in having this done, perhaps we could all get together (with your brother) and get some details. I am interested in learning how you took the lights out so quickly!

The price seems reasonable, but I want to make sure about the results.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:05 AM

could the price be lower??? cause i think $200 is a bit too much... thanks... and ya, i would like to check out how your headlights too...
Old 01-25-2002, 11:39 AM

I am interested as well, but would like to check out the work first. Also, the $200 seems a bit much for me right now...maybe if we get enough people to do it, he could drop the price a bit, kind of like a group buy? With that said, I have a friend that would also be interested.....so, add 2 more possibilites to the list.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:29 PM

Well I'd be glad to come by Barnes and Noble this Thursday or Friday. Does that sound OK? There is also the possiblity that I'll have my bumper off this weekend for an unrelated problem. If you let me know, it'd be fine for anyone to stop by and take a close inspection of the headlights out of the car.

About the price, the work is very tedious. Honestly, it took us literally the whole day to do mine. If you do a search, you'll see that the time it took us isn't uncommon. Consider $200 and the work of someone with past experience versus seven hours or so of your labor and the price looks more reasonable.

jfys2k.. do you live in a townhouse complex in Gaithersburg off Mid-County? Near a silver Supra?
Old 01-27-2002, 07:15 PM

that does sound like quite a nice labor rate... if he screws 'em up, will he pay for them?
Old 01-27-2002, 07:43 PM

"jfys2k.. do you live in a townhouse complex in Gaithersburg off Mid-County? Near a silver Supra?"

ya... i do see a silver supra around my naberhood... is that you or your friend???
Old 01-27-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Lightning
that does sound like quite a nice labor rate... if he screws 'em up, will he pay for them?
good question....
Old 01-28-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by jfys2k
"jfys2k.. do you live in a townhouse complex in Gaithersburg off Mid-County? Near a silver Supra?"

ya... i do see a silver supra around my naberhood... is that you or your friend???
Nope. Not me or anyone I know, I just couldn't remember the name of the neighborhood and I thought that was a good way to ask where you lived. I think you live a couple doors down from my brother's ex-girlfriend. You might have seen either of our cars parked around in the lot last year. He has a black E36 M3 with 18" Kinesis K28s.

As for screwing up the headlights: If he drops your headlights or is significantly negligent he would be willing to pay for them. However, I don't think he wants to put any personal warranties on the work. Honestly, you get what you pay for and for this price, he can't afford to warranty them. Obviously you'll have the opportunity to check that they're sealed to your satisfaction when you get them back. I think that's the only thing to be worried about and you can trust me when I say we got liberal with the sillicone. Like I said, it's been a few weeks and mine have held up fine through the rain and snow.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:55 PM

cool... so are you still going to show up at B&N this friday night so we can check out your headlight???

Quick Reply: Local Headlights Cleared