Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Legality of 6pt roll cage/racing harnesses

Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Legality of 6pt roll cage/racing harnesses

sometime within the next year i want to get a 6pt roll cage/racing seats/racing harnesses setup. i don't plan to track my car (please don't flame) but i really love how it all looks together. i've been told that the harness setup isn't practical for DDing, but i'm prepared to cross that hurdle when it comes. my question is simply this--if i get pulled over, could an officer ticket me for having the racing harnesses/roll cage/racing seats installed? could he be like "those harnesses are not the OEM seatbelts, therefore you're not wearing a seatbelt, therefore i can ticket you for that" ? or could he say something about the roll cage being unsafe or something? i'm posting this in the Mid-A section because i know that laws on these things vary from state-to-state.

TIA
Old 07-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am pretty sure a harness is illegal. i think it is bc that they are often installed wrong and can be more dangerous than the oem seat belt. also, a cage is vvery dangerous as well. it can split your head open like and egg if you hit it in an accident

although it looks cool, its pretty impractical (not flaming you)
Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you intend to wear a helmet everywhere you go, I would reconsider this. I'm all for getting what you think looks good, but this one may be a bad decision.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 PM

I have nothing positive to contribute... just flames.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

^^^
^^
^
Old 07-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah i was expecting flames

but if installed properly, the harness would hold you in the seat well enough and you wouldn't get your head split open by the cage, right? i've been wondering about this for a while because i've seen more than one non-track S2000 with a harness/cage setup on this forum.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you have Nomex readily available. I'll give you a second to don said gear...

If you have a rollbar, you should have harnesses. Having a rollbar and no harnesses is begging for a crushed cranium. I could understand a 4pt, but a 6-pt. is Starbucks... COMPLETELY! And it's especially so if it's the Cusco one(chromoly blue). This is not because I feel they are unsafe, but because you're making the car heavier for zero reason and that blue on your blue is I've seen it on this board.

And yes, by law, you are not to mess with the vehicle's safety restraint system, i.e. seatbelts. And let's see... : a law enforcemnt officer pulls you over for something(no front plate, exhaust, speeding, etc). Hmmm, a piece of rice driven by a young person(I'm assuming you're young- under 30). Oh looky! Ricer Rick has a roll cage. "RR, why do you have a rollcage?" "I think it looks cool, but I don't race."

Cut to the end of that story: insurance rates go up. The end.

My opinion means nothing though. I mean that seriously, but hopefully you will consider all things before spending $$$ on a mod that will be hard to sell when you do get rid of it, even if you do not mind the major inconvenience of seats, harnesses, and reduced cabin space(leg/knee room).
Old 07-13-2007, 05:07 PM

not to mention that w/ the crushco *ahem* cusco 6pt you have a massive bolt aimed right at your dome-piece...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Rashad... I'm with the other guys on this one. A cage, when daily driven without a helmet may look cool to you, but you are potentially bringing yourself serious injury in a collision. Head injuries are no joke. My friend totaled my first S2000 and lost a weeks worth of memory. We thought that was the only thing that happened, but now 18 months later he's having some weird stuff happening...

I know driving stupid fast down curvy two lane roads is dangerous and we are all guilty, but going out of your way spending extra money to make it more dangerous is really not a good idea.

I don't post this as a flame, I just really think you should think it through and be aware..

Quick Reply: Legality of 6pt roll cage/racing harnesses