Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Insurance of OTHER covering mods/accident thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CTECHs2k,Nov 7 2007, 09:54 PM
I've been in this situation. Your insurance has nothing to do with what happens if its the other persons fault. They have to repay for all damages EVEN if its aftermarket.
nice. i know of your situation, but there seems to be mixed results here...

i'll keep checking back here.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some insurance companies include it without actually telling them. I have Allstate and before I had the mods I asked about them.. and they said a certain amount was covered.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CTECHs2k,Nov 7 2007, 08:54 PM
I've been in this situation. Your insurance has nothing to do with what happens if its the other persons fault. They have to repay for all damages EVEN if its aftermarket.
Assuming the other person is, in fact, insured.

I'd want the coverage on my own policy just in case. And notifying your insurance company in the event of an at-fault accident (the other party's fault) is not a bad idea. Your insurance company can go after theirs if need be. And you can sometimes get stuff started more quickly by having your insurance get the ball rolling and collect from the other person's insurance company.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend's daughter was recently involved in an accident that was the other person's fault. She had an Integra that she had put a lot of money into. Unfortunately for her the other person's insurance company simply totaled the car out at what an Integra of that vintage went for. The value of the vehicle totaled out was much less than the value of the parts she had installed. She ended up buying the wreck back from the insurance company for about $500 and has been parting it out to recoup some of her $$.

Based solely upon her experience I would have to guess that the insurance weasels will find a way out of paying the replacement cost of expensive mods if they exceed their book value of the car.

John
Old 11-08-2007, 01:46 PM

That sounds like a legal case right there.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:11 PM

lets just say we're lucky cause our cars have a good resale value lol i agree with the fact that most companies will check to see how much was done and if it seems like it would be more than the total cost of the vehicle then theyll total it and weasel out of paying more than they need. its a business afterall..cut your losses and move on right? but im guessing if its just like a head unit, or exhaust or bumper theyll fix it. or theyll just give you a new oem bumper lol they really only care that your car is driveable IMO.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmmm, so to you guys who informed the insurance company of your mods--how much did it increase your rates?

EDIT: right now i am @ $500 every 6 months
Old 11-08-2007, 02:28 PM

I can only see it increasing your rates if you ASK for a rider. It's not like they're going to increase your rates because you have something on the car they're not going to cover anyway.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 PM

OEM parts may be a little more expensive. There is a clause in insurance called a aftermarket parts clause. Thats where they may use aftermarket parts (non oem) to fix whats wrong. You may pay the difference. Your premium will not go up because you have mods on your vehicle. You should always call the insurance company and let them know you have new parts on your car.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by nightcrawler7188,Nov 7 2007, 10:15 AM
i was wondering what would happen if i got in to an accident where i was found to NOT be at fault but aftermarket parts like a carbon trunk, ings rear bumper, etc. were damaged. wouldn't that person's insurance have to cover it? i guess my insurance company wouldn't because i'd need to let them know officially that that's what i have on there (and my rate would increase accordingly), but would it matter to the other person's insurance company? i always thought they'd have to cover it because regardless, it's your stuff that the other person messed up. am i wrong?

i'm not in this situation, but i always wondered about it.

thanks
Remember Va is a at fault state. There are some states out there that are no fault belive it or not. Liability coverage. The state minimums are 25/50/20 PI/PD/UM.

Quick Reply: Insurance of OTHER covering mods/accident thread