Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

If not a Wing, then Diffuser and a Duck?...that is the question

Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow
Originally Posted by rocketstarter' timestamp='1317938904' post='21046964
[quote name='sparrow' timestamp='1317910217' post='21045229']
smh smh smh... we're not talking about a groundup racecar or a car deisgned from scratch... we are talking about the s2000. Dollar for dollar for items that can be purchased ots he will have 10X at minimum the benefit from a wing as opposed to a diffuser. If you can find a diffuser for $600 that will be more beneficial than an apr gtc-200 I'd be first in line.

Even if you wanted to go ahead and buy a j's/ts/pwjdm diffuser I would still place bets on a wing of equivalent value. Now if you want to discuss the merits of a proper venturi tunnel design as it relates to cd and negative lift that is entirely different subject matter b/c the s2000's design is not conducive to a design that can fully utilize these principles. Furthermore the distance between diffuser and airfoil would be too great for the airfoil to truly benefit. Furthermore the OP lacks sufficient knowledge to even begin to design his own diffuser. So where exactly you are going to save him money and frustration all the while providing him more downforce than an ots wing I, robrob and I'm sure others would like to know. No srsly this is not an attack I would rly like to know. Got my snickers ready.

OTS wing/spare trunk = $1k and 1hr install time
Ots none of the diffusers you see on the s2000s will produce any positive effects, their price is outrageous, and people still buy them because they look good. The J's racing looks promising but until I test it in CAD I can't say anything other then its shape is promising and that it might be worth about $150 for the effect it'll generate.

If you were that interested in saving the OP money you'd recommend a 255 up front instead of a 225 before purchasing another trunk and a wing as we can all agree that front tire width and tire compound here will make the biggest difference in lap time shaved per dollar.

For occasionally going to the track I wouldn't recommend anybody a wing or a diffuser. But for a road car I'd rather have a diffuser then a wing [If I frequent the track often enough to squeeze the last milisecond out of my alignment and tires then of course I'd realy on a wing] If I have to buy my friends at nasa cases of beer for CAD help [maybe even tunnell if I get them drunk enough ] then so be it as it's extremely enjoyable. I'll report my findings on here and put everybody to sleep, then we'll see exactly how useful/useless a diffuser on our cars is.

No I cannot save the OP any money if he's not interested to acquire the knowledge needed for such a design, and no the wing won't save the OP any money either if he rarely tracks the car ...on 225 fronts. But these designs are a very intriguing subject because their function on our cars is questionable, whereas a wing is proven performance.

In OPs case the verdict is not a diffuser or wing, but wider front tires, and stickier tires overall.

[/quote]

lol I ain't even mad