Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

If not a Wing, then Diffuser and a Duck?...that is the question

Old 10-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I haven't measured the wing heights but here's the APR-GTC200 wing without risers:

With risers (and custom end-plates):

Mounts are the S2000 specific model.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why but I lol'd randomly at the second pic... Looks like the tale of a v22 we had land at work... anyway was there a significant difference in downforce between the 2 heights so that you could run the wing at a lesser AOA?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Rob, would you say the GTC200 APR wing is beneficial even without the risers?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
and I'm pretty sure it's not meant to suck the car to the road it's more so to stop the rear bumper from being a built in parachute. at speed the bumper can create 80+lbs of lift/drag and if you get the diff. itll decrease the amount of air going to said bumper hence why those stupid civics have holes in their bumpers a cheep way to relieve the air in their bumpers.....

No, a functioning diffuser creates downforce by generating a low pressure under it, but like I said, the diffuser needs to be very low--actually touching the track is optimum and aftermarket S2000 diffusers aren't low enough to function--that's why you don't see any downforce numbers on S2000 diffusers. They look cool and add weight.

This year I ran a couple of sessions with no rear bumper cover to see if the car would be faster down Summit Point's main straight. I bought the "bumper is a parachute" theory but the car was not faster. I was hitting 130 with or without the bumper cover so I decided not to modify my bumper. Where'd you hear the 80+lbs of drag number?
I really honestly don't remember I don't know if I read it in a magazine build thread or something and it seemed to make sense but I never had the means to test it like you(BTW thanks for putting that theory to bed, saves me money from buying a diffuser on a theory) it seems believable but now that I'm thinking about it wouldn't the rear bumper if it were to trap air make a bubble and the passing air under the car just go past the bumper? but I know a real diffuser makes downforce by decreasing air pressure. what I was saying is that the diffusers on our cars decreases drag on our bumpers(going off the now verified false theory of the bumper creating drag) now I agree with you that they add weight and are there for show only now.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

was there a significant difference in downforce between the 2 heights so that you could run the wing at a lesser AOA?

I'm not good enough to notice the difference but of course in theory the extra height should be very valuable.

Looks like the tale of a v22 we had land at work

I know what you mean. The end plates aren't exactly good looking but they should "in theory" extend airflow separation and give some yaw stability. They're the max size, 12 inch square, allowed by the NASA rule book.

Rob, would you say the GTC200 APR wing is beneficial even without the risers?

Definitely. I believe Skip ran a GTC200 without the risers but he did have the fastback hardtop which should "in theory" provide cleaner air to the wing.

what I was saying is that the diffusers on our cars decreases drag on our bumpers

OK, now I understand what you were saying. I've never heard that but then I've never researched a diffueser for the S.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So,in summary, if I want downforce, get a proper wing. Everything else is a waste of money. Thanks. You guys just saved me $1k+ and a lot of frustration. I will look into the GTC200 wing once I really feel like I am getting the max out of the car.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM

I would suggest buying a used truck lid. Mount the wing on that lid and keep your original truck lid with factory matching paint.

You can then swap out truck lids (4 bolts) for when the car is on the street or track.

My car at the track:

My car on the street or autoX:

I actually have an extra truck lid (or two) just lying around in my basement
Old 10-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^What color and how much?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:35 PM

^^+1 that
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
I would suggest buying a used truck lid. Mount the wing on that lid and keep your original truck lid with factory matching paint.

You can then swap out truck lids (4 bolts) for when the car is on the street or track.

My car at the track:

My car on the street or autoX:

I actually have an extra truck lid (or two) just lying around in my basement

I have a sebring silver trunk lid. It is in fair condition (has a couple hail type dings). Rear brake light not included. $200 OBO

Quick Reply: If not a Wing, then Diffuser and a Duck?...that is the question