Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

If not a Wing, then Diffuser and a Duck?...that is the question

Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for a Silverstone trunk, BTW
Old 09-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The duckbills are better than nothing but when you consider the cost to purchase, paint and install it's not worth it. A functional diffuser must be mounted very low to the ground and a belly pan is a must too or you won't get the type of airflow to actually generate the "suction" to create down force. A good wing will cut 2 seconds per lap once you learn to drive with it (trust the down force Luke).
Old 09-30-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by robrob
(trust the down force Luke).
(and don't forget it isn't there, if you take it off. )
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

keep in mind it not easy for someone like gpfab to tell you how much downforce their diffuser is creating. and I'm pretty sure it's not meant to suck the car to the road it's more so to stop the rear bumper from being a built in parachute. at speed the bumper can create 80+lbs of lift/drag and if you get the diff. itll decrease the amount of air going to said bumper hence why those stupid civics have holes in their bumpers a cheep way to relieve the air in their bumpers.....cuz they are so fast!!!!!.........
Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the Mugan or Duck tail style won’t do much eh? That unfortunate. I like the idea of having a second trunk, but it would be nice to have something on the car all the time. If it must be a wing, and yes, I know I am being a (insert insult here), but is there one that doesn’t look like it belongs on a GT car in the ALMS series? i.e. lower profile. The CR wing is a reasonable alternative but if I am going to go down that road, is there a better option? I know the higher it is, the more air it can grab and is more effective….

Regarding diffusers, has anyone actually had experience with them? I mean, put on there car, go to the track (exit ramps count here) and honestly felt/seen improvements? I do agree one of the best gains from a diffuser would be in cleaning up the air flow under the car and around the bumper. However, is there any downforce being generated? I wish wind tunnels were as common as engine dynos....

Thanks for all the comments so far.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Former Moderator

and I'm pretty sure it's not meant to suck the car to the road it's more so to stop the rear bumper from being a built in parachute. at speed the bumper can create 80+lbs of lift/drag and if you get the diff. itll decrease the amount of air going to said bumper hence why those stupid civics have holes in their bumpers a cheep way to relieve the air in their bumpers.....

No, a functioning diffuser creates downforce by generating a low pressure under it, but like I said, the diffuser needs to be very low--actually touching the track is optimum and aftermarket S2000 diffusers aren't low enough to function--that's why you don't see any downforce numbers on S2000 diffusers. They look cool and add weight.

This year I ran a couple of sessions with no rear bumper cover to see if the car would be faster down Summit Point's main straight. I bought the "bumper is a parachute" theory but the car was not faster. I was hitting 130 with or without the bumper cover so I decided not to modify my bumper. Where'd you hear the 80+lbs of drag number?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM

Your only option is a spare trunnk and wing... anything else is a waste of money
Old 10-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow
Your only option is a spare trunnk and wing... anything else is a waste of money
This is the correct answer.

Learn to love the airfoil. Its worth it.

Take a good look at a APR GTC 200 before going with a CR wing. Looks are subjective, so I won't comment on that, but the CR wing really isnt up in the air flow enough to do as much as an APR or similar wing that is mounted near or at the roof/windshield line.

FWIW, I have a APR GTC 200 on risers. Its a different car.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Former Moderator

Keep this in mind--if you actually use a wing on the track, and I mean use it, then you're not a poser with a wing on the street.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by dc_s2k
Originally Posted by sparrow' timestamp='1317594250' post='21032906
This is the correct answer.

Learn to love the airfoil. Its worth it.

Take a good look at a APR GTC 200 before going with a CR wing. Looks are subjective, so I won't comment on that, but the CR wing really isnt up in the air flow enough to do as much as an APR or similar wing that is mounted near or at the roof/windshield line.

FWIW, I have a APR GTC 200 on risers. Its a different car.
How high/tall is the apr wing from the trunk with risers?

Quick Reply: If not a Wing, then Diffuser and a Duck?...that is the question