Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

If not a Wing, then Diffuser and a Duck?...that is the question

Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If not a Wing, then Diffuser and a Duck?...that is the question

So, I've done several track days with my s2000 and I'm loving it. There is still more speed in the car, but as always, I am looking to improve the cars potential. In reading articles on-line and in a conversation I had with Tubedriver @ Shenandoah the other weekend, the consensus seems to be the addition of a rear wind (along with other items we discussed) help to really plant the car and can dramatically help to improve lap times. If this was more of a dedicated track car, I would not hesitate to install a proper wing. However, it's not, so I would prefer to avoid a large wing if I can. By not installing a "proper" wing, I acknowledge I will be missing some of the performance potential. But again, for me this is just a fun weekend car that I take to track days several times a year.

So, with that being said, how much benefit would the smaller "duck bill" style spoilers with a diffuser be in planting the rear of the car? Below are links to several of each I have been looking at.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...0_Aerodynamics

http://www.gtmotoring.com/product_in...products_id=26

and/or add a diffuser like one of the follow.

BTW, I already have KWv3 with a proper track alignment, 225's tires in the front with 255's in the rear, roll bar, better brakes pads, brake lines, ATE Super Blue, Hard Dog roll bar, Password JDM Intake and other bits. You know, the track day basics.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Pretty sure a duckbill will do almost nothing. IIRC the only non GT-style wing that provides some decent downforce is the Mugen spoiler/wing.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Only a wing is going to give you the down force needed. As the first S2000 owner in the Mid-A to put a wing on a track S2000 I am qualified to say that,.

I had a Mugen 3 piece before I put the wing on. No contest there.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered buying a spare trunk lid, mounting a wing to it, and then only installing it for track purposes? I'm sure there's a junk yard somewhere with a trunk lid for cheap...
Old 09-30-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by aeonracer
Have you considered buying a spare trunk lid, mounting a wing to it, and then only installing it for track purposes? I'm sure there's a junk yard somewhere with a trunk lid for cheap...
That's what I did.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in a similar spot as you before I decided upon starting a new project. I decided the best compromise was the CR spoiler. It's not going to make the s2000 look like a shopping cart during everyday driving and does provide downforce, although not as much as the taller wings.

Unforunately you're driving GPW and mine is painted NFR. Although you could always have it painted. Shoot me a pm if you're interested and in the NoVA area.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honda says the OEM deck lip spoiler reduces rear lift by XX% at XX speed. I'm not looking for a big wing either, but nobody claims to make a functional diffuser.

If you're reading this and your company makes a FUNCTIONAL diffuser for the S2000, why don't you offer information on how much downforce it generates.

A gallon of milk is provided with more information then some of these "aerodynamic" parts.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

That's easy, if they had the information they would provide it. These parts are designed with little more in mind than aesthetics.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll make another vote for extra trunk for a wing. If my car ever makes it to track car that's what I'm doing.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not okay with spending so much money on an aerodynamic aid I'll only use a handful of times a year

I'd much rather buy an aerodynamic aid I can use all year long

...or in this case, i'll have to engineer one =[

Quick Reply: If not a Wing, then Diffuser and a Duck?...that is the question