Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

I wish it NEVER rained!

Old 09-16-2002, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wish it NEVER rained!

I was planning to be on the September 22 drive, but, alas, it looks like I won't make it. It's just that I won't have a car to drive.

Yesterday, I was heading up Ballenger Creek Pike towards Frederick yesterday in the rain and hit a slick spot at the worst possible time. It was on a fairly sharp left hander heading right into narrow bridge over Ballenger Creek. The rear end broke away just as the road was funnelling down to the bridge and I hit my right rear against the guardrail. As I corrected for the oversteer, the car bounced off the guardrail, and between the energy of the bounce and my correction, it rebounded the other way. Before I could straighten her out totally, my right front clipped the rail. I straightened her out, got over the bridge and pulled over. No damage to the guardrail, other than the addition of my spa yello paint.

I can't say the same for the car. It was perfectly drivable. Damage to the right front fender and bumper and damage to the left rear panel, bumper and rear turnsignal. Scuffs on the wheels and on the front right headlight. I guess it could have been worse. I called GEICO and have shown it to Mike at Rockville Auto Body. GEICO is working up the insurance stuff on Wednesday and I'll take it back to RAB that afternoon. DAMN! I probably won't have her back for about three weeks! And I wanted to keep her perfect . . . . .

Marc
Old 09-16-2002, 01:52 PM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

DOH! Bad luck!

Glad you weren't hurt though... in the end, remember, it's only a piece of tin (or fiberglass).
Old 09-16-2002, 04:12 PM

Marc, I'm sorry to hear about this...but you're right. It could have been a LOT worse. At least you're OK.
I was looking forward to meeting you on the 22nd, but there will be future drives. Let's all be careful out there.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:26 PM

Thanks, TepEvan and Helios! Yeah, she is only a machine; I gotta keep telling myself that. All I know is that I will NEVER drive that stretch of Ballenger Creek Pike when it's raining. This was at the end of my drive on Sunday and it seemed that my tires were biting very well too. This is a short stretch of much newer pavement. (It's near the entrance of a very recent housing development.) Could it be that that pavement would tend to be much more slippery in a light rain after not having rain in a while? Anybody know how I can make it without my S for three weeks? What's S withdrawal like?

Marc
Old 09-16-2002, 05:45 PM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

I've always heard that the road is slicker after it rains after not raining for a while because the oil (from other cars, etc) is brought to the surface...
Old 09-16-2002, 05:47 PM

Oh man, sorry to hear this.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:06 PM

That sucks man! Sorry to hear...
Old 09-17-2002, 06:41 AM

My worst nightmare.......Good luck, and as always it could have been much worse!
Old 09-17-2002, 07:15 AM

Thanks S TWO K! The worst thing about this nightmare is that I keep replaying it over and over again in my head. I don't think I'll be ok until I get my baby back . . . .
Old 09-17-2002, 11:13 AM

Here's the nasty place!!! Beware of it if you're ever in the area and it's wet:

http://users.adelphia.net/~marclw

Quick Reply: I wish it NEVER rained!