Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

I NEED AN OPINION ON TRANNY NOISE: who works/lives in the Reston area?

Old 04-21-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jstar
You might want to take it over to Fairfax Honda & ask for Al Ubago. Or let me know & I'll call him for you. He's a good friend of mine that is a mechanic there and will help you out. Is it a ticking? Does it show up in certain gears? I have an 03 and when I was around your mileage I had this weird ticking noise mostly when I would put it in reverse, but it would happen occasionally in first or second. I took it into Al & he looked it over, drove it & determined it had to do with the rear wheels. He put some type of spray in the wheel barings...it wasn't even the tranny eventhough it sounded like that's where it was coming from. Haven't had a problem since. Not sure if that's anything like what your experiencing, but I thought I would throw it out there.
-jeremy
al doesn't work there anymore, he was cool guy though

btw the s2000 master at ffx honda is keith nappi, so you might want to check with him.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:53 AM

Well RazorV3 you can tell I'm right on top of things. Man don't talk to a guy in a few weeks and BOOM he's gone! Al is a good guy & a good friend of mine. Thanks for the update. I'll have to get in touch with him.
-j
Old 04-21-2004, 06:49 PM

sounds like it could be intake noise as well...
Old 04-21-2004, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jstar
Well RazorV3 you can tell I'm right on top of things. Man don't talk to a guy in a few weeks and BOOM he's gone!
Old 04-21-2004, 08:12 PM

If it is the short Al, oriental looking and with a goatee he now works at Bill Page Honda on Rt.50 in Arlington. There is also a guy named Allen (big guy), new technician at Fairfax Honda if thats whom you are referring too....
Old 04-22-2004, 07:04 AM

thanks for clarifying a2daz, i didn't know which one he was talking about since they both have simillar sounding names...
Old 04-24-2004, 05:19 AM

Here's a tip for a noise I tracked down - after I spun my car on the track and has some work done, I got it back and noticed a noise in 2nd gear in the 3k range, pretty consisitent.

At that RPM, the vibration causes my exhaust tips to vibrate and make a rattling noise.

It took me a while to actually figure it out, but check the exhaust tips and see if they are tight (try to pull them off gently and twist them). If they are loose, they will stay on, but rattle under certain RPM conditions.

... or take it to the dealer and find out what's really wrong.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:26 PM

If you still need help let me know. I work at Roesnthal Honda. I work in parts but I know 2 good guys that work there. Ill go on a ride along. I had 1st,2nd,3rd,and 4th replaced in my car. I can also look up stuff on Honda Net. 2 see if there is any news on that. come to parts and ask for Shaun
Old 04-25-2004, 04:42 PM

when i drove it it defenetly sounded like the tranny but it really doesnt make the clutch noise i get. To the best of my knowledge (minamal) this sounds like some type of gear noise the only thing i could see from the honda tsbs is that it might be what honda refers to as "gear backlash". Whats the latest though chris did you take it in to any one yet? Hope you can find a tech that is pretty expeirienced with the s2000

off topic, reverbe where in herndon are you and how have i never seen you around??
Old 04-26-2004, 04:55 AM

white_S2000@16 (Matt): the noise is still there, since I met with you I haven't had a chance to take it to another dealer or anyone of the owners here. I was away this weekend (Metallica/Godsmack concert:-) and with the rain early this week I probably won't take it out until wed-friday timeframe.

Blkturbos2k: Thanks for the offer, I would like to take you up on that. I need a qualified second opinion, as Leesburg just said 'its normal'. I sent you a PM, can you get back to me and I can make arrangements with you. thankx.

matt_inva (Matt): i would still like to meet up with you and see if your noise is the same as mine. When are you available?

Quick Reply: I NEED AN OPINION ON TRANNY NOISE: who works/lives in the Reston area?